Mr. Browning is a registered patent attorney with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. His practice focuses on the acquisition, protection, licensing and enforcement of intellectual property and defending clients against the intellectual property claims of others. In particular, Mr. Browning concentrates on chemical, pharmaceutical, medical device and energy-related technologies.
He regularly counsels clients in the following areas:
- Domestic and foreign patent prosecution and patent infringement litigation in the federal courts
- Domestic and foreign trademark prosecution and trademark infringement litigation in the federal courts
- Trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Copyright registration, copyright infringement litigation
- Identifying, protecting, transferring and licensing of technology in corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Providing patent non-infringement and validity opinions
- Designing around patents
- Domain name disputes before the Federal Courts and World Intellectual Property Organization
- Alabama State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Manufacture Alabama
- Successfully represented defendant in patent infringement lawsuit related to log conveying equipment, obtaining summary judgment and dismissal of the suit. (PSI Sales, Inc. v. Les Aciers J.P., Inc.)
- Successfully represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit against manufacturer of friction stir welding machines, obtaining confidential settlement. (Fluid Dynamics Research Corp. v. MTS Systems Corp.)
- Represented plaintiffs in multiple cyber-squatting cases before the WIPO and federal courts, resulting in assignment of disputed domain names to the plaintiffs.
- Has provided numerous patent invalidity and non-infrigement opinions relating to pharmaceutical patents, many of which led to the successful launch of generic drugs, including a $1 billion brand name drug for treating arthritis, a $600 million brand name drug for treating seizures, prenatal and prescription vitamins, hyperhomocysteinemia treatments and others.
- Successfully represented defendant in patent infringement lawsuit related to wave attenuation devices, obtaining dismissal of the suit. (Artificial Reefs, Inc. v. Volkert, Inc., et. al.)
- Successfully represented plaintiff in patent infringement lawsuit against fishing lure manufacturer, obtaining settlement. (Reaction Innovations, LLC. v. Strike King Lure Co.)
IP Issues that Every Small Business Should Know03/10/2011 | University of Alabama School of Law
Trademarks - International Registration - Madrid Protocol03/10/2011 | Alabama State Bar Meeting