Jaime Betbeze practices in the firm’s General Litigation practice group, with special emphasis on admiralty, transportation law, and construction law. In connection with these primary areas of practice, Jaime is a member of The Maritime Law Association of the United States, the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (SEALI), the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA), and the Defense Research Institute's (DRI) Construction Law Committee.
Jaime practices extensively in Alabama and Florida state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. Jaime has represented contractors, subcontractors, shipyards, property owners, and other businesses in commercial disputes and personal injury litigation. Jaime also has experience in representing clients during OSHA inspections and contesting OSHA citations.
Jaime has broad political experience, having served as Legislative Assistant to Congressman Newt Gingrich and as Development Director for the Columbia Institute in Washington D.C. More recently, Jaime served on the Executive Committee for the campaign of Congressman Jo Bonner.
Jaime is also active in a number of civic organizations focusing primarily on historic preservation and has significant experience in preservation law. He is a member of the Mobile Historic Development Commission and previously served as its President. He also served as President of the Mobile Revolving Fund for Historic Properties, and is a member of the Historic Mobile Preservation Society and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Jaime is active in the Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception and the St. Thomas More Society, which sponsors the annual Red Mass in Mobile.
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (SEALI)
- Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member – Construction Law Committee
- Mobile Bar Association
- Propeller Club – Port of Mobile
Removal of Diversity Disability Cases under an ‘Accrued Benefits’ TheoryDRI Life, Health, and Disability News, Spring 2003
Alabama Legislative Update: Prompt Payment Act and Statute of ReposeDRI Construction Law Committee Newsletter, Volume 15, Issue 1, 2012
OSHA Jurisdiction in the Maritime Industry09/09/2012 | presentation to the Propeller Club – Port of Mobile
Intoxication and Willful Misconduct as Defenses under the General Maritime Law11/03/2010 | presentation to the Offshore Marine Services Association (OMSA)
Rule B- Claims Security from Maritime Practitioner’s Perspective06/26/2009 | presentation to Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute (SEALI)
Law for Design Professionals09/01/2002 | presentation for Lorman Education Services
Construction Liens and Bonds10/01/1998 | presentation for Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), South Alabama Chapter
Construction Law09/17/1998 | presentation for Lorman Education Services
- Mobile Historic Development Commission, Member and Past President
- Barton Academy Foundation, President
- Historic Mobile Preservation Society, Member
- St. Thomas More Society, Vice Chancellor
- Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, Cantor
- Musica Sacra Chorus, Member
- Mobile Revolving Fund for Historic Properties, Past President
- Mobile Christmas Parade Board of Directors, Past President
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Alabama/Mississippi Chapter, Past Board Member
- National MS Society Greater Mobile Leadership Class, Past Member and Honorary Chairman
- National MS Society Greater Mobile Leadership Class Advisory Council, Member