With over 25 years of experience representing clients in both the health care and the tax exempt sectors, Jim serves as Chair of Maynard Cooper’s Health Care and Charitable Foundations-Tax Exempt Organizations practice groups. He represents all types of providers and payors to best position them to respond to quickly changing health care regulatory, tax, compliance and other related matters. He also represents a large number of tax exempt entities, both inside and outside the health care industry.
Clients turn to Jim for his respected knowledge, broad-based experience, and active legal and risk management advice in the business of health care. For many of the firm’s clients, Jim serves in an outside General Counsel role to assist them not only with accomplishing their strategic initiatives, but also to serve as a trusted advisor to whom they can readily turn for advice with respect to both legal and business decisions. He has the intuitive insight to effectively and efficiently discern the diverse legal needs of this ever changing industry, and his skills and talents in the field have earned him the preeminent recognition as a Band 1 leading practitioner in Healthcare by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Jim’s distinguished health care practice includes the following services:
- Working with clients to structure integration, co-management, affiliation, and joint venture arrangements that implicate health care, antitrust and tax concerns
- Dealing with all levels of health care regulatory issues, including the Stark, Anti-Kickback, Civil Monetary Penalties Laws, 340B Drug Pricing Program, and tax law issues
- Implementing alternative payment arrangement and collaborative delivery systems in both commercial and government payor settings, including Medicaid and Medicare bundled payment programs
- Managing all aspects of compliance planning with regard to tax and health care regulation at both the state and federal levels, including financial aid policies and HIPAA and cybersecurity issues
- Assisting clients with internal and external audits and investigations
Through his representation of clients in the health care area, many of which are tax exempt, Jim has developed a significant amount of experience representing charitable and tax exempt organizations of all types and sizes on complex regulatory and business issues, including entity choice, private foundation rules, intermediate sanctions, unrelated business income, and governance.