Ms. Lamar’s practice focuses primarily on the representation of banks, financial institutions, and other lenders as secured or unsecured creditors in commercial bankruptcy or reorganization proceedings and in loan workouts and debt restructuring efforts. She has also provided representation for the committee of unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 cases, and she represents indenture trustees and bondholders on defaulted issues. Her creditors' rights practice extends to commercial foreclosure proceedings and the exercise of Article 9 remedies. In addition, Ms. Lamar handles commercial litigation matters ranging from the collection of sizable debts and obligations, to the defense of lender liability allegations, to contract disputes, arising in bankruptcy proceedings or in state or federal courts.
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Litigation Sections
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Turnaround Management Association, Alabama Chapter, Past Board Member
- Alabama State Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section
- Birmingham Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, Former Chair
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Represented liquidity provider to County in connection with bond indebtedness totaling $3.2 billion incurred for the construction, operation and maintenance of a sewer system, including pre-filing negotiations related to, and representation in, largest Chapter 9 proceeding in history, including eventual negotiation and sale of warrants held by client. • Serves as counsel to numerous lenders on multi-million dollar defaulted residential and condominium construction projects, including negotiating sales of completed and partially-constructed units and raw land in an effort to obtain debt repayment.
- Served as co-counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in chapter 11 proceedings filed by parent corporation and 23 subsidiaries with plants in seven states engaged in the design, development and manufacture of cast, forged and machined components. Successfully negotiated consensual plan of reorganization with debtors and lending group to allow confirmation only eight months after petition date.
- Represented Indenture Trustee on defaulted rural hospital bonds held by more than 200 predominantly non-institutional holders. Obtained immediate appointment of chapter 11 trustee for day-to-day management of hospital and financial control, negotiated post-petition financing, then worked with trustee through operating issues including threatened loss of insurance and licensure, to enable sale of hospital as going concern.
- Represented secured lender to operator of national space exploration and aeronautics camps and related facilities in Florida and California. Engineered judicial foreclosure of facilities and exercise of Article 9 remedies to take title to all real and personal property, including intellectual property.
- Represents banks and other lenders in the purchase and sale of loans and other credit facilities, both as individual transactions and as transfers of entire loan portfolios.
- Represented lender in resolving multiple lawsuits filed by borrowers and swap counterparties challenging the structure of their respective loans and swaps and alleging misrepresentation and suppression. For all existing borrowers, resolution included restructuring the facilities to provide a mutually acceptable structure on a go-forward basis.
Seventy-Seven Maynard Cooper & Gale Lawyers Named in the 2014 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
Maynard Cooper & Gale Receives High Rankings in Chambers USA 2013
Ninety-five Maynard Cooper & Gale Lawyers Named in 2013 Alabama Super Lawyers
Seventy-Six Maynard, Cooper & Gale Lawyers Named in the 2013 Edition of the Best Lawyers in America
Maynard, Cooper & Gale Receives High Rankings in Chambers USA 2012
Ninety-three Maynard Cooper & Gale Lawyers Named In 2012 Alabama Super Lawyers; Ten Lawyers Named to Top 50 List; Seven Lawyers Named to Top 25 Women List
Fifty-four Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. Lawyers Named in 2010 Alabama Super Lawyers
Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. Receives High Rankings in Chambers USA 2010
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham