Joel is a Shareholder and Co-Chair of the Physician/Hospital Integration Practice at Maynard Cooper. He is also a member of the firm's Health Care, Corporate Governance and Compliance, and Mergers and Acquisitions practice groups.
He represents and advises physician practice groups and hospitals/health systems across the United States in integration transactions and related ventures and combinations designed to improve the quality and delivery of health care services to patients in their local communities. Such representation includes the negotiation of long-term physician employment agreements, practice group purchase agreements, service line management agreements and governance documents for the integrated practices. Joel also counsels hospitals and physician groups regarding health care regulatory, compliance and other matters.
Joel's health care practice focuses primarily on the following:
- Health care fraud and abuse (including the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute)
- Medicare reimbursement issues
- Professional services, management and employment agreements with health care providers
- Regulatory and compliance matters
- Medical staff bylaws and credentialing matters
- HIPAA Privacy/Security
- Joint ventures, asset purchases and other significant transactions
- Representation of sleep labs and durable medical equipment providers
- Concierge medical practices
- Corporate structure and governance issues
- State licensure
- The Joint Commission
- Hospital and physician group management and organization
- Development and maintenance of corporate compliance programs
Joel is a frequent speaker at physician and medical association industry meetings. His talents have earned him recognition as a leading Heath Care attorney by The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers.
He received his J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law. He holds an M.B.A. summa cum laude from the Manderson Graduate School of Business and a B.S. magna cum laude from Auburn University.