The State of Alabama has become a target for the location and expansion of all types of manufacturing, aerospace and technology concerns for which substantial incentives and abatements are available at the state and local levels. The Alabama Jobs Act’s passage in 2015 has provided new incentive tools for the state and locals. Maynard Cooper has been fortunate enough to be heavily involved in most of Alabama’s major projects, including representation for years in connection with several Mercedes-Benz projects as well as Northrop Grumman / EADS, Hyundai, Toyota and Navistar.
As of late, Maynard Cooper has represented many of Alabama’s largest companies, negotiating major incentive packages and handling project development throughout the state, in a wide range of businesses such as:
- One of the world's largest technology companies in its location of a data center in the State of Alabama
- An advanced manufacturing rocket engine company’s location of its new plant in north Alabama
- One of the world's largest defense contractors in pursuit of U.S. Department of Defense in-air refueling tanker program
- New major arms manufacturing facility relocating from New York to Alabama, with over 2,000 employees
- One of the world's largest metal stamping suppliers to Mercedes, Volkswagen and Freightliner in locating and expanding in Jefferson County, with total investment of over $1 billion
- Greenfield site development for one of the world’s largest cement siding manufacturers
- Korean appliance manufacturer in its site selection process throughout the Southeast United States
- Japanese OEM and engine manufacturer locating and expanding in north Alabama
- Japanese-owned vitamin supplement manufacturing plant in Opelika, Alabama
- German tier 1 automotive chassis supplier to OEMs throughout the Southeast including Mercedes and BMW
- Korean affiliate of the world’s largest manufacturer of brake and fuel lines
- Canadian tier 2 plastic injection molding parts supplier to the automotive industry
Maynard Cooper frequently negotiates project agreements and procures valuable incentive and financing packages from the state and local governments in which these industries locate. We also advise companies on corporate, tax, real estate, environmental permitting and utility issues, as well as related tax-exempt and taxable bond financings.
Maynard Cooper is a long-time member of the Business Council of Alabama and Manufacture Alabama, a Strategic Partner of the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama as well as a supporter of the Birmingham Business Alliance. We have also worked closely with the State of Alabama Finance Department, the Alabama Department of Commerce and the Alabama Industrial Development Training. Coupled with the expertise of our Public Finance Group, the Economic Development & Incentives Group is uniquely suited to handle both the public and private sector representation in the State of Alabama.