Maynard Cooper has more than 20 attorneys primarily focused on serving our health care clients located in Alabama, the Southeast and across the United States. Firm clients include one of the largest health systems in Alabama with 1,080 licensed beds statewide, one of the largest and most respected cardiovascular physician practices in Alabama and the Southeast, and private equity funds targeting investments in a wide variety of health care-related ventures. Along with a robust health care regulatory compliance practice, we have served as primary counsel in a significant number of transactions involving the purchase, sale, merger and/or integration of hospitals, hospital systems, physician practices, hospices, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and many other health care companies and providers.
Our lawyers' experience in health care transactional and regulatory work has enabled us to tailor creative strategies for clients who seek to develop and operate ancillary service providers, including ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), cardiac catheterization labs, and multi-diagnostic facilities. The firm's health care group has established leaders in advising our clients regarding health care IT, distribution and supply chain, health care financing and investment, and medical office development and construction transactions. Representation of our clients extends to other area's of the firm's expertise, including governmental affairs, taxation (including 501(c)(3) entities), employee benefits, labor and employment, real estate, general litigation, corporate governance and securities matters. As the listings below highlight, Maynard Cooper's health care lawyers possess the judgment, skill and experience to provide practical, results-oriented advice and counsel to health care constituents facing the broad continuum of legal challenges and issues that may arise in today's ever-changing and constantly evolving health care environment.
Maynard Cooper represents all types of health care providers, including the following:
- Large and small health systems
- Physician and physician group practices
- Nursing homes
- Home health agencies
- Reference laboratories
- Diagnostic imaging and joint venture entities
The firm’s health care attorneys regularly advise these clients regarding the following:
- Integration, co-management and similar joint transactions/combinations between physician practice groups and hospitals/health systems (please see our Health Care-Physician/Hospital Integration page for further information)
- Joint ventures
- Fraud and abuse (including the Anti-Kickback Statute)
- Stark Law
- Medical staff bylaws and credentialing matters
- Professional services and employment agreements with physicians
- Medicare reimbursement issues
- Management services arrangements
- HIPAA Privacy/Security
- Corporate structure and governance issues
- State licensure and other regulatory issues
- Joint Commission
- Governmental investigations
- Antitrust issues
- FDA Matters
- Technology licensing matters
- Executive compensation and employee benefits
- Asset purchases and other significant transactions
- Tax-exempt bond financings
- Hospital and physician group management and organization
- Audit services with regard to the Medicare Integrity Program
- Development and maintenance of corporate compliance programs
- Internal and external audits and investigations
- Qui tam claims
- Certificate of Need requirements and related litigation
Please also visit Maynard Cooper's health care blog, Health Care Business and Legal Insider, for discussions on issues related to health care providers.
Six Lawyers Named to Top 50 List; Five Lawyers Named to Top 25 Women List; Twenty-eight named Alabama’s Rising Stars
Birmingham, Ala. – Seventy-Six lawyers from Maynard, Cooper & Gale, P.C. are recognized as leading lawyers in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®.
Birmingham, Ala. – Maynard, Cooper & Gale is pleased to welcome Paul W. Frederick to its Huntsville, Alabama office. Frederick, a native of Huntsville, has joined the firm’s Corporate and Trust and Estate Practices Of Counsel. Frederick has been practicing law for over 30 years. His practice primarily focuses on Trusts and Estates, Wills and Probates, Estate Litigation, Tax Law, Healthcare Law and Business Law. He has an extensive health care practice with experience in medical licensure, practice and governance. Additionally, Frederick speaks regularly to groups regarding estate planning and business topics.