In recent years, the State of Alabama has become a target for the location and expansion of all types of manufacturing and technology concerns for which substantial incentives and abatements are available at the state and local levels. Maynard Cooper has been heavily involved in virtually every major project of this kind during the last decade, including both phases of the Mercedes-Benz and Honda projects as well as Boeing, Hyundai, Toyota, IPSCO Steel and Navistar. The firm also represented Nissan Motor Co. in its recent evaluation of incentives available within the State of Alabama.
We have recently negotiated major incentive packages throughout the state for companies in a wide range of businesses such as:
- One of the world's largest technology companies in its location of a data center in the State of Alabama
- One of the world's largest defense contractors in pursuit of U.S. Department of Defense in-air refueling tanker program
- One of the world's largest metal stamping suppliers to Mercedes, Volkswagen and Freightliner in locating and expanding in Jefferson County
- Korean appliance manufacturer in its site selection process throughout the Southeast United States
- Japanese OEM and engine manufacturer locating and expanding in North Alabama
- Japanese-owned vitamin supplement manufacturing plant in Opelika, Alabama
- German tier 1 automotive chassis supplier to OEMs throughout the Southeast including Mercedes and BMW (new plant in Lee County, Alabama)
- Korean affiliate of the world’s largest manufacturer of brake and fuel lines (new plant in Elmore County)
- Canadian tier 2 plastic injection molding parts supplier to the automotive industry (new plant in Cullman County)
- U.S. affiliate of a German conglomerate that manufactures and installs leather inlay for the automotive industry (new plant in St. Clair County)
- One of the nation’s largest brick manufacturers with headquarters in Montgomery, Alabama (new plant in St. Clair County)
- Manufacturer of fire extinguishing products (new plant in Jefferson County)
- One of the nation’s leading biotechnology firms with a lipid profile test (expansion in Jefferson County)
- National pharmaceutical distribution company (expansion in Jefferson County)
- Manufacturer of refuse collection vehicles (expansion in DeKalb County)
Maynard Cooper frequently negotiates project agreements and procures valuable incentive and financing packages from the state and local governments in which these industries locate. We also have advised companies on corporate, tax, real estate, environmental permitting and utility issues, as well as related tax-exempt and taxable bond financings. Within the last few years, Maynard Cooper attorneys were the primary drafters of an amendment to the Alabama Constitution that has become the cornerstone of the State's economic development efforts by using oil and gas royalties to fund economic development incentives.
Maynard Cooper is a long-time Strategic Partner of the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama as well as a supporter of the Birmingham Business Alliance. The Firm has worked closely on numerous major projects with the EDPA. We have also worked closely with the State of Alabama Finance Department, the Alabama Department of Commerce and the Alabama Industrial Development Training Board. Coupled with the expertise of our Public Finance Group, the Economic Development & Incentives group is uniquely suited to handle both the public and private sector representation in the State of Alabama.