J.T. is the chair of Maynard Cooper’s Cybersecurity practice. He also leads the firm’s e-discovery practice.
Cybersecurity Risk Management and Data Breach Litigation
J.T. helps businesses develop cyber risk management and mitigation strategies, including the development and implementation of incident response plans, updating vendor management programs, and performing cybersecurity compliance audits.
As a certified NetDiligence® Breach Coach, he guides clients through the immediate and necessary steps following a data breach, including incident response, data breach notification, regulator inquiries and, if necessary, civil litigation. He has represented a number of clients in data breach litigation, particularly in the financial services and insurance industries.
J.T. is a frequent speaker on emerging issues in cybersecurity regulation and data breach litigation. He is one of a handful of lawyers from the across the country selected by the Sedona Conference to author a primer on data security. He is also a member of Infragard, a public-private partnership between the FBI and the business community on cybersecurity, and the Sedona Conference Data Security and Privacy Liability Working Group.
Representative services include:
- Advising companies on cybersecurity oversight strategies for boards of directors and executive management
- Developing incident response plans
- Updating vendor and business partner contracts to ensure adequate privacy and data security safeguards are in place over non-public personally identifiable information
- Assisting companies with cybersecurity exams
- Conducting data breach investigations
- Examining domestic and international privacy laws
- Advising clients on customer and regulatory data breach notification obligations
- Evaluating existing policies, practices and procedures to determine if they comply with the controlling regulatory framework
- Counseling clients on cyber risk management and mitigation strategies
- Assessing available coverages and exclusions within cyber liability policies
- Evaluating the cybersecurity risk associated with mergers, acquisitions, and other business transactions
- Defending class action data breach lawsuits
Electronic Discovery and Data Management
J.T. has advised companies on electronic discovery from the day the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure were amended in 2006 to address the subject matter. He is a leading practitioner in the area, and has developed a reputation for cost-effectively managing the life cycle of electronically stored information (ESI) in complex litigation. J.T. helps client manage the entire spectrum of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM) – Information Management, Preservation, Collection, Processing, Production and Presentation.
Representative services include:
- Advising companies on best practices for litigation holds
- Developing discovery protocols
- Drafting structured data discovery requests
- Negotiating discovery obligations
- Performing forensic investigations
- Developing cost-efficient document collection, analysis, review, and production strategies
- Representing corporate representatives in ESI Depositions
- Motion practice on electronic discovery obligations
J.T. also counsels companies on information governance initiatives that can be implemented in advance of litigation to proactively manage data, and reduce legal and financial risk. These include policies and procedures for record retention, e-mail management, computer usage, social media and Bring Your Own Device (BYOD).
J.T. began his law career as a litigator. For more than 10 years he has been a general litigator in the truest sense of the term. He has handled a variety of matters on behalf of OEMs, automotive suppliers, pipeline companies, municipal airports, manufacturers, financial services companies, broker dealers, construction companies, real estate investment trusts, insurance companies, movie retailers and individuals. He is listed in Super Lawyers in the area of Business Litigation, and he was recognized by the Birmingham Business Journal as a 2017 "Rising Star Lawyer." Representative cases that J.T. has handled can be found under Experience.
J.T. received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law and holds a B.S. from Washington and Lee University.