Tuesday, August 7, 2012
Linking Patients and Doctors Through a Smart Phone App
Forward-thinking hospital systems are taking advantage of new technology to facilitate patient-doctor interaction. Providence Health Ministry in Mobile, Alabama recently announced the launch of a new smart phone app to connect patients with the doctors and physician groups practicing at Providence Hospital. The features of the app enable patients to:
- search lists of available doctors by name, practice or specialty;
- read physician biographies;
- directly access practice group websites and phone numbers;
- follow digital maps with turn-by-turn directions to physician offices;
- find updated information on hospital services and facilities; and
- access Providence Health Ministry’s Facebook page for continual updates on hospital news and events.
Providence Health Ministry is the first health system in the Mobile area to launch an app of this kind, but this innovation is likely not the industry’s last. Undoubtedly, leaders of health care systems will continue investing in technological tools and developing creative ways to make patients feel more connected to their health care providers. Some hospitals have started sending text message reminders of upcoming appointments and predictions of Emergency Room wait times. What technological advances has your practice made?