Maynard Cooper is committed to promoting and investing in diversity in the workplace and the community. We recognize that our ability to provide clients with the highest quality of service in the local, national, and international marketplace is strengthened by a diverse workforce, among whom differences are accepted and valued.
We have pledged ourselves to respect diversity in an atmosphere free from unwarranted bias and prejudice. This pledge governs our hiring and personnel policies, as well as our personal relationships within the Firm. Maynard Cooper’s lawyers are also active participants in local and national organizations committed to enhancing diversity in the legal profession. In addition, our Firm and our lawyers devote significant financial and human resources to local initiatives that empower those from diverse backgrounds.
Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion
Maynard Cooper embraces diversity as a hallmark of the firm and is committed to recruiting, hiring, developing, and promoting attorneys without regard to gender, race, disabilities, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, social or ethnic group. We recognize that our ability to provide clients with the highest quality of service in the local, national, and international marketplace is strengthened by a diverse workforce, among whom differences are accepted and valued.
We are therefore committed to maintaining a multi-cultured work environment. Toward that end, the firm has taken the following specific steps (among others) to ensure that our commitment is upheld:
- We seek substantial women and otherwise diverse student participation in our summer associate program, the hiring ground for the bulk of our lawyers. In 2020, the summer associate class consisted of 15 women and 5 minorities.
- Eight of the firm’s associate hires within the last 12 months have been women or minorities.
- We have made communicating our commitment to diversity a primary focus of our relationships with the law schools where we conduct on-campus interviews for prospective summer associates.
- Our attorneys conducting on-campus interviews make a concerted effort to identify minority candidates for employment and encourage female and minority candidates to interview in our offices.
- In 1991, we endorsed two diversity scholarships at the University of Alabama School of Law, which continues to fund minority students’ education to the present.
- We have a diversity sponsorship program which pairs our diverse associates with senior shareholders to enhance the young attorney’s practice.
- We encourage female and minority attorneys to seek leadership positions within and outside of our law firm. Our nine-person Board of Directors includes two female attorneys and one of the Firm’s female attorneys served as President of the Birmingham Bar Association. We also ensure broad participation of female and minority attorneys on our Firm’s Recruiting Committee.
Minority Scholars LSAT Program
Since 2008, we have offered a Minority Scholars LSAT Prep Course to aspiring undergraduates in the region. To date, graduates of our LSAT program have matriculated to law schools at the University of Alabama, Cumberland, Vanderbilt, University of Mississippi, Mercer, and Washington University in St. Louis. Read more.
Maynard Cooper is making a concerted effort to create a culture that values and rewards minority student achievement in secondary as well as post-secondary education throughout our community. One component of this effort is Maynard Cooper’s collaborative partnership with SpeakFirst: An Alabama Debate Initiative. Beginning direct service in 2004, SpeakFirst’s mission is to enrich the academic experience of talented and motivated students from Birmingham’s public high schools through participation on an “all-star” debate team. The debate training provided by SpeakFirst develops students’ critical thinking, writing, research, and public speaking skills. Tutoring, college admissions guidance, standardized test prep, and summer internships are also provided. SpeakFirst aims to provide participating students with the skills and knowledge they need to realize their talents and participate fully in society as students, leaders, and citizens.
Maynard Cooper is pleased to be investing substantial resources into SpeakFirst. The firm is committed to a multi-year financial gift to support the team’s operations as well as providing office space for daily debate practices. In addition, our individual attorneys serve the organization through various volunteer efforts.
Our collaborative partnership with SpeakFirst reflects the Firm’s long-standing commitment to both public service and to issues of concern to communities of color. Learn more about SpeakFirst.
Maynard Cooper’s commitment to diversity extends beyond the workplace to our community. Our Firm has chosen to invest monetary resources and human resources in local organizations that promote and empower those from diverse backgrounds, including:
- Alabama Advisory Committee for the United States Committee on Civil Rights
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- Black Law Student Associations, University of Alabama School of Law, Vanderbilt Law School
- CampFire USA
- Cornerstone Schools of Alabama (private school for inner-city students)
- Grace House Ministries (home for girls in family crisis situations)
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Magic Bar Association
- Metropolitan YMCA
- National Conference for Community and Justice
- Operation New Birmingham
- Restoration Academy
- Restoration of the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church
- South Asian Bar Association of Northern California
- United Negro College Fund
- United Way of Central Alabama Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Workshops, Inc. National Conference for Community and Justice
Nashville, TN (October 28, 2020) — Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) welcomes Sarah Laird, Brittany Macon and Elizabeth Holland to Maynard’s growing Nashville office. Sarah, Brittany and Elizabeth, formerly with Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, join Maynard’s Real Estate and Financial…
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to welcome Wade Heck to the Firm’s Government Relations Practice Group in Washington D.C. Wade is a Government Relations professional with over three decades of experience shaping and executing federal lobbying strategies and guiding…