Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Alina is a member of the Public Finance practice group at Maynard Cooper. She has experience as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, disclosure counsel, borrower’s counsel, and bank counsel in numerous public finance transactions, including financing or refinancing the construction or acquisition of senior living and educational facilities. In addition to her work on traditional general obligation and revenue bonds, Alina also assists clients in structuring public-private partnerships (P3s) and development incentives.
Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Alina worked in Florida for a Southeastern firm where she practiced in the areas of Public Finance, Corporate, Estate Planning, and Real Estate.
Alina is a founding director, and the current Vice President, of the Alabama Chapter of Women in Public Finance.
Alina received her J.D. with an Estate Planning Certificate and graduated cum laude from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. While there, she received book awards in Estates and Trusts as well as in Elder Law. Alina also served as an executive board member of the Law College Council. Before attending law school, Alina studied at the University of South Carolina where she was both a McNair Scholar and a Lieber (National Merit) Scholar. She graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. in Political Science and English from the South Carolina Honors College.
- Industry experience includes Senior Living (including CCRCs); City, County and Statewide Issues; Utilities; Development Districts; Transportation; Higher Education and Student Housing; Parochial Schools; Multifamily Housing
- Representative clients include underwriters and banks; municipalities (of all sizes); state departments and agencies; private developers; universities and colleges (public and private); special issuers
- Serves as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, or disclosure counsel in numerous tax-exempt and taxable bond issuances (thus far totaling $800+ million) to fund the acquisition or construction of new senior living communities
- Advises developers and municipalities regarding development incentives and collateralizing same as security for taxable and tax-exempt bonds
- Represents historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in transactions to receive funding through the Rice Capital Access Program (RCAP) and advise banks regarding requirements of lending to HBCUs with RCAP funding in place
- Facilitates restructuring negotiations, including having represented borrowers in forbearance arrangements and a receivership action related to distressed senior living communities
- Experienced in identifying and forming issuer entities for PABs or 501(c)(3) financing
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Project Finance Law, Public Finance Law (2021 - Present)
Alina's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar
- Florida State Bar
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Women in Public Finance
State Bar: Alabama, Florida
U.S. District Court: Florida