Josh is a Shareholder in the Labor & Employment practice at Maynard Cooper.
He provides representation and guidance to clients across a broad range of EEO and labor and employment matters, including cases arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Section 1981, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the National Labor Relations Act, whistleblower statutes, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, the Alabama Workers’ Compensation Act, and various state tort laws. Josh represents clients engaged in Department of Labor audits and investigations and has experience in litigating and providing advice relating to the enforceability of employment agreements and non-compete agreements. Josh’s practice also includes advising clients on labor issues and representing management in grievance proceedings and labor arbitrations.
Josh offers consultation to employers in need of assistance in drafting or updating employment handbooks and policies. He also offers consultation and training for employers on a variety of topics including compliance with labor, employment, health and safety laws and regulations, and best practices for personnel management and human resources functions. Josh advises manufacturing, natural resources, and other companies in highly regulated industries on regulatory compliance and represents them in a variety of administrative matters, including Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHA) and Federal Mine Safety and Health Act (MSHA) enforcement actions, discrimination and temporary reinstatement claims, audits, special investigations, and accident investigations.
Josh has successfully litigated labor and employment and related tort cases in both state and federal court and has experience obtaining summary judgment for clients. In addition, he has successfully litigated administrative enforcement actions and labor arbitrations.
Alabama Super Lawyers listed Josh as a “Rising Star” in Employment & Labor in 2015. Mid-South Super Lawyers listed Josh as a “Rising Star” in Employment & Labor in 2016 and 2017.
Josh received his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law. He holds a B.A. in Economics with distinction from the University of Virginia.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employment & Labor (2016 – 2017, 2019)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employment & Labor (2015)
Josh's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Alabama State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Alabama State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management Conference, Planning Committee
- Department of Camp McDowell, Secretary
- UVA Club of Birmingham, President
- Freshwater Land Trust, Member of the Board’s Governance Committee and President of the Junior Board
- Volunteer with Birmingham Bar Volunteer Law Program
- Birmingham Chapter of the Coastal Conservation Association, Board Member 2012-2014
- Cornerstone School, Junior Board 2013-2016
Josh's Speaking Engagements
- 04/16/20: “COVID-19 Webinar: Confronting Employment Issues” Birmingham Business Alliance (Webinar)
University of Alabama School of Law (2011, J.D., magna cum laude; Alabama Law Review, Notes Editor; Campbell Moot Court Board; Labor and Employment Moot Court Team; Bench and Bar Honor Society)
University of Virginia (2008, B.A., Economics; with distinction; Jefferson Scholar)