Ashe is a Partner in Maynard Cooper’s Intellectual Property practice. He is a recognized trial attorney whose practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, including cases involving patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets, and unfair competition. From startups to major corporations, Ashe helps companies resolve their IP disputes.
Technology and innovation is not only Ashe’s passion, it is what drove him to become an engineer and brings him into close and frequent contact with other innovators. His success in the courtroom has enabled him to negotiate many settlements.
Ashe is registered to practice in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has represented clients in trials before the Patent Office, including inter partes review (IPR) post-grant invalidity challenges available under the America Invents Act. Ashe also assists clients in developing IP strategy and navigating freedom-to-operate issues relative to the IP rights of others.
Ashe has been recognized as an influential lawyer by the Los Angeles Business Journal and serves as a leader in the legal community. Ashe also serves on the board of numerous non-profits. He is a certified web developer and an avid tennis player and cyclist who has completed three century (100-mile) cycling races.
Ashe earned his J.D. from Villanova University School of Law and B.S. (Biomedical Engineering) from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Prosource Discounts, Inc. v. Performance Solutions, LLC et al. (C.D. Cal.). Lead trial counsel for defendant and counterclaimant Performance Solutions in patent infringement suit involving massage rollers. Case resulted in settlement.
- Univ. of Pittsburgh v. Varian (W.D.Pa.) (cancer radiation treatment). Member of two successful jury trial teams on damages and willful patent infringement resulting in verdicts for client exceeding $86,000,000.
- Jun-En Enterprise v. Agape et al. (9th). Successfully argued before a three-judge panel in the Ninth Circuit affirming a district court’s award of sanctions and legal fees.
- Powertech Technology Inc. Tessera, Inc. (N.D.Cal.). Represented client in a breach of contract case involving DRAM technology. Resulted in settlement.
- Williamson v. AT&T (S.D.N.Y.). Represented client in a patent infringement suit involving a video and linear TV storage and delivery system.
- WhatRU Holding et al. Bouncing Angels et al. (C.D.Cal.). Successfully obtained summary judgment ruling of patent infringement for client. Resulted in settlement.
- Neumark Rothschild v. Cree, Inc. & Philips Lumileds Lighting (S.D.N.Y.). Represented patent holder involving LED semiconductor doping technology. Case resulted in several highly publicized settlements for client.
- President and Fellows of Harvard College v. JSC Surgutneftegaz (2d Cir., S.D.N.Y, AAA). Represented client in a securities case against one of Russia’s largest oil companies for misrepresentations by incorrectly calculating the amount of dividends to be paid to shareholders.
- Innovative Imports, Inc. v. Brent Baum (C.D.Cal.). Successfully opposed a motion for preliminary injunction in a trade dress action leading resulting in settlement.
- Entegris, Inc. Pall Corp. (Fed. Cir.). Represented client before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in a patent infringement suit involving fluid filtration technology.
- KCI Concepts, Inc. v. ConvaTec Inc. (M.D.N.C.). Represented client in a patent infringement suit involving negative pressure wound therapy.
- DealerTrack v. RouteOne (E.D.N.Y.). Represented client in a patent infringement suit involving a credit application delivery system.
- Sandvik Kennametal (W.D.Pa.). Represented client in a patent infringement suit involving coated cutting tools.
- S&B Filters v. R2C Performance Products LLC (C.D.Cal.). Represented client in a trade dress infringement suit resulting in settlement. Successfully opposed motion for preliminary injunction.
- Most Influential Minority Attorneys, Los Angeles Business Journal (2019)
Ashe's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- The South Asian Bar Association of Southern California
- Co-President (2018-2019)
- President-Elect (2017-2018)
- Treasurer (2016-2017)
- Events Director (2015-2016)
- The Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association
- Vice-President (2020-2021)
- Treasurer (2019-2020)
- Secretary (2018-2019)
- Board Member (2016-2017)
- Chair, Washington in the West program (2016)
- Chair, Young Laws Committee (2015-2016)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Board of Governors (2016-2018)
- The South Asian Bar Association – Public Interest Foundation
- Board Advisor (2018-2019)
- Board Member (2017-2018)
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chair, Public Relations Committee (2006-2008)
- Editor-In-Chief, NYIPLA BULLETIN (2004-2008)
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, IP Section Annual Meeting (2008)
- Co-Chair, Special Committee 855 on Section Website (2006-2007)
- Co-Chair, Summer One-Day CLE Program (2005)
Ashe P. Puri, Comment, And the Winner Is . . . Interpreting the Lead Plaintiff and the Lead Counsel Provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, 47 Vill. L. Rev. 491 (2002) (article cited in the American Jurisprudence, Manual of Complex Litigation, and ALI-ABA).
Ashe P. Puri, Article, Describing Your Biotechnology: The Significance of Enzo Biochem and Eli Lilly, 6 J. Biolaw & Bus. 78 (Federal Circuit Edition, 2003).
Robert C. Morgan and Ashe P. Puri, Article, Expert Witnesses and Daubert Motions, The Sedona Conference Journal (Winter 2003-04).
Ashe P. Puri, Article, What Your Clients Should Know About Monetizing Their Intellectual Property To Generate “Non-Conventional” Streams of Commercial Finance, CLE program (March 2008).
Ashe P. Puri, Legal Updates:
- Federal Circuit Update: Motiva, LLC v. ITC and Nintendo(June 2013).
- Evenwel v. Abbott: What “One Person – One Vote” Means, Immigration View Blog (May 2016).
- Update on the Current Landscape of Patent Troll Lawsuits, Emerging Companies Insider Blog (June 2016).
Ashe P. Puri, Legalized Marijuana Business Denied Federal Trademark Registration, Intellectual Property Alert (July 2016).
Ashe's Speaking Engagements
Artificial Intelligence and IP: The Future is Now, South Asian Bar Association of North America (2020)
Corporate Strategies on Managing & Utilizing IP, LAIPLA Washington in the West (2017)
Patent Year in Review, LAIPLA Spring Seminar (2016)
“Examiner Interviews – Best Practices,” LAIPLA Washington in the West (2016)
“One Person-One Vote”, South Asian Bar Assoc. (“SABA”) (2016)
“Perspectives From In-House Counsel: An Inside View,” SABA (2016)
Careers in Intellectual Property Law, Villanova University School of Law (Spring 2011)
Trying a Patent Case in the Southern District of New York, ABA Annual Meeting (2008)
Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (B.S., 1999)
Web Design and Development (Cornell University)