Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Barry is a Shareholder and member of the Public Finance and Economic Development & Incentives practices at Maynard Cooper. He has extensive experience in the areas of municipal and public finance and economic development. Additionally, Barry dedicates a significant portion of his practice to the representation of financial institutions in public and private transactions involving governmental entities and nonprofit organizations.
His experience has earned him recognition in The Best Lawyers in America© for Municipal Law and Public Finance Law, and he received the Best Lawyers® 2018 "Lawyer of the Year" distinction for Municipal Law. Super Lawyers has listed Barry as a "Rising Star" in the areas of Bonds and Government Finance.
Barry advises governmental and non-profit organizations on taxable and tax-exempt financings, serving as bond counsel and disclosure counsel to cities, counties, boards of education, utility systems, public and private universities and 501(c)(3) corporations.
Serving as bank counsel and underwriter's counsel, Barry regularly represents regional and national financial institutions on the purchase and sale of taxable and tax-exempt debt throughout their respective footprints. Additionally, he advises banks and underwriters on compliance with state and federal laws regulating the municipal bond market.
Barry advises cities, counties and related public entities and private for-profit business organizations on economic development projects including the negotiation, structuring, and documentation of project development agreements, incentive packages and revenue sharing arrangements.
"He does phenomenal work. He is an expert, very good to work with, good at protecting our interests and finding loopholes. They work on anything that helps us and protects our interests."
"Barry's broad base of knowledge in the public finance space enables him to very effectively negotiate with opposing counsel and provide his clients with great representation."
Representative Transactions: Governmental
- $25,765,000 General Obligation Warrants, Series 2018, of even date, issued by the City of Montgomery, Alabama
- $13,610,000 Water Revenue Warrants, Series 2018, dated the date of delivery, issued by Madison County, Alabama
- $50,000,000 Alabama State Port Authority Short Term Docks Facilities Revenue Bond, Series 2018
- $10,000,000 Subordinated Gas Revenue Bond (Federally Taxable), Series 2018-RB, issued by The Clarke-Mobile Counties Gas District
- $15,505,000 General Obligation Sewer Warrants, Series 2017-A, dated the date of delivery, of the City of Prattville, Alabama
- $9,000,000 General Obligation Warrants, Series 2017, issued by the Town of Priceville, Alabama
- $10,000,000 Tuition and Fee Revenue Bond, Series 2017-A, of even date, issued by the Jacksonville State University
- $21,000,000 Industrial Development Bond, Series 2017, issued by The Industrial Development Board of the City of Huntsville
- $14,565,000 General System Refunding and Improvement Revenue Bond, Series 2017, of even date, issued by The Southeast Alabama Gas District
- $32,750,000 General Obligation Refunding Warrant, Series 2016-B, issued by the City of Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- $9,200,000 General Obligation Warrants, Series 2016, dated the date of delivery, issued by the City of Anniston, Alabama
- $6,925,000 Public School Warrants, Series 2016, issued by Cullman County Board of Education
- $3,800,000 General Obligation Refunding Warrants, Series 2016, issued by Butler County, Alabama
- $7,760,000 General Obligation Refunding Bond (Conservation Project), Series 2015 and $20,015,000 General Obligation Refunding Bond (Courthouse-Government Complex Project), Series 2015, issued by Paulding County, Georgia
- $29,560,000 Local Government Public Improvement Bonds, Series VII-K-1 (City of Pigeon Forge), issued by The Public Building Authority of Sevier County, Tennessee
Representative Transactions: Non-Profit
- 7,400,000 Revenue Bond (St. Paul’s Episcopal School Project), Series 2017, issued by The Industrial Development Authority of Mobile County
- $4,905,000 Economic Development Refunding Revenue Bond (Pinewood Preparatory School Project), Series 2017, of even date, issued by the South Carolina Jobs - Economic Development Authority
- $3,800,000 Revenue Bond (Huntingdon College Project), Series 2017, of even date, of The Greater Montgomery Educational Building Authority
- $12,600,000 Revenue Refunding Bonds (Ole Miss Athletics Foundation Parking Facilities Refunding Project), Series 2015, issued by the Mississippi Business Finance Corporation
- $2,300,000 Revenue Bond (Camp Smile-A-Mile, Inc. Project), Series 2015, issued by The City of Birmingham Downtown Redevelopment Authority
- $4,000,000 Revenue Bond (Creative Montessori School, Inc. Project), Series 2015, issued by The Educational Building Authority of the City of Homewood
- Chambers USA: Recognized in the area of Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2019–present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Municipal Law and Public Finance Law (2016-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2018 "Lawyer of the Year" for Municipal Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star" for Government Finance (2017,2019)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" for Bonds/Government Finance (2010)
Barry's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- State Bar of Georgia
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Monday Morning Quarterback Club
- Leadership Birmingham, Class of 2016
- Leadership Alabama - Alabama Leadership Initiative (2011)
- Covenant Presbyterian Church (P.C.A.), Deacon (2012-2014)
- Dartmouth Club of Alabama, President (2013-2015)
Barry's Speaking Engagements
- "Municipal Debt Financing" presented at the Alabama League of Municipalities Municipal Leadership Institute (December 4-5, 2017)
- "Pitfalls and Best Practices for Bond Issues" presented at the AAMA/AMJA Fall Municipal Conference (September 22, 2017)
- "Math for Municipalities (and Counties Too!)" presented at the Alabama City & County Governments Seminar (May 5, 2017)
- "Special Protections for Cities & Counties in Public Financing" presented at the Alabama City & County Governments Seminar (May 6, 2016)
- "Rating Agency/Debt Panel Discussion" Moderator at the 2016 GFOAA Conference and Training (February 4, 2016)
- "What to Do When the Feds Call - Is Your Municipality Compliant?" presented at the Alabama League of Municipalities Annual Convention (May 17, 2015)
- "Bond Issues: Compliance with IRS and SEC Rules When You Are on Your Own" presented at the Alabama City & County Governments Seminar (May 8, 2015)
State Bar: Alabama, Georgia