Maynard is pleased to announce that 200 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 11 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 56 of the Firm’s younger attorneys who are recognized...Read More
Brandt is a Shareholder and member of several practice groups in the Litigation Section at Maynard.
As a member of the Firm’s Education practice group, Brandt defends educational institutions in student and employment litigation and arbitration. Brandt also routinely advises schools on regulatory issues involving the U.S. Department of Education and the Higher Education Act.
Brandt is also a member of the Firm’s Appellate practice group, representing clients in civil appeals on topics ranging from dietary supplements to life insurance to governmental immunity.
Brandt’s broad experience extends to other industries as well. He has represented a state in a high-profile water-rights dispute with a federal agency, a prominent website in a defamation case implicating Section 230 immunity, and a trade association of beer wholesalers in an appeal involving the Twenty-first Amendment.
Prior to joining Maynard in 2017, Brandt spent the early years of his career at a large law firm in New York City litigating sports and antitrust cases. Also while in New York, he successfully petitioned for clemency on behalf of two individuals who had their sentences commuted by President Obama.
Brandt received his J.D. from Tulane University Law School. He holds a B.A. from the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was a member of the school’s Division 1 baseball team.
- Matthews v. American Society of Professional Education, et al., Case No. 1:21-291-LY (W.D. Tex. Nov. 4, 2021) (obtained dismissal for lack of personal jurisdiction)
- Cannon v. Lucas, --- So.3d ----, No. 1190505, 2021 WL 3700830 (Ala. Aug. 20, 2021) (obtained reversal of $18 million adverse jury verdict and remand for new trial)
- NRZ Pass-Through Tr. IV v. Tarantola, 192 A.D.3d 819, 144 N.Y.S.3d 196 (Mar. 12, 2021) (successfully orally argued case to obtain reversal of trial court order dismissing case for failure to join necessary party in mortgage foreclosure action)
- Hamilton v. Buffalo Rock Co., Case No. 190853 (Ala. Aug. 20, 2020) (obtained affirmance of trial court order granting motion for partial summary judgment in personal injury action arising out of car accident)
- MasterMind Involvement Mktg., Inc. v. Art Inst. of Atlanta, LLC, 389 F. Supp. 3d 1291 (N.D. Ga. 2019) (obtained injunction requiring vendor to return social media login credentials to multiple universities)
- MetLife Sec., Inc. v. Brandt, No. B282949, 2018 WL 6616097 (Cal. Ct. App. Dec. 18, 2018) (obtained affirmance in case involving request for attorney fees)
- Marshall v. Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, Case No. 1:18-cv-00631-ECM-WC, 2018 WL 4955211 (M.D. Ala. Oct. 12, 2018) (obtained dismissal of ADA and due process claims against school)
- Ex parte Birmingham Airport Auth., 274 So. 3d 964 (Ala. 2018) (obtained writ of mandamus requiring dismissal of all claims against client due to statutory immunity defense)
- In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation (represented foreign manufacturer of bearings in defending against class-action antitrust lawsuit)
- Brady v. NFL (“Deflategate”) (represented former New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady in arbitration and court proceedings challenging his four-game suspension imposed by the NFL)
- Rice v. NFL (represented former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice in successfully challenging suspension imposed by NFL).
- Peterson v. NFL (represented NFL running back Adrian Peterson in arbitration and court proceedings challenging his suspension under the NFL Personal Conduct Policy).
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Litigation - Antitrust, Litigation - Banking and Finance, Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants (2022- present)
State Bar: Alabama, New York
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern), Georgia (Northern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit, Seventh Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (January 3, 2022) — Maynard & Gale (Maynard) is pleased to announce the promotion of ten attorneys to shareholder, effective January 1, 2022. The Firm’s new shareholders include Alina Arbuthnot, Caroleene Dobson, Baker Findley, Charles Fleischmann, Mitchell Greggs, Josh Hess, Brandt Hill, Brannon Parker, Rich Pugh, and Ann...Read More
Maynard & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys who...Read More