Bryan is a Shareholder and member of the Litigation Section at Maynard Cooper. His litigation practice is centered on product liability, complex litigation, commercial disputes, and mass torts.
Bryan has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts at every stage of litigation. His recent work includes representing aircraft, chemical, tire, and specialty-metal manufacturers, utility service providers, national retailers, banks, heavy equipment rental companies, construction companies, government contractors, and real estate developers. He regularly defends clients against wrongful death and personal injury claims, and has extensive experience handling complex commercial disputes and mass tort dockets. Though he focuses on defense work, Bryan has litigated complex business disputes for plaintiffs as well as defendants.
Bryan has been listed as a “Rising Star” by Alabama Super Lawyers in the Personal Injury Products Defense category multiple times since 2011. The American Bar Association named Bryan as Co-chair of the Litigation Section’s Chemical and Automotive Subcommittees.
Before attending law school, Bryan graduated from West Point and served in the United States Army as a commissioned officer and helicopter pilot, where he obtained instructor pilot status in the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter. After graduating from law school, Bryan served as a law clerk to the Honorable Karon O. Bowdre, Chief Judge for the United States District Court in the Northern District of Alabama.
- Current representation of a national pipeline services company in multi-state personal injury and property damage matters.
- Current representation of an international heavy equipment rental company in product liability cases and commercial disputes pending in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Current defense of an international chemical company in personal injury claims arising from asbestos exposure.
- Member of the trial team that represented a Fortune 50 chemical company against consolidated personal injury lawsuits filed in Alabama and West Virginia. The plaintiffs were approximately 1,600 individuals alleging respiratory injury from exposure to isocyanate-containing products used in coal mines. The cases were favorably resolved after pre-trial motions and jury selection.
- Served as counsel for a Fortune 250 energy company in mass tort litigation involving 1,000 plaintiffs alleging personal injury from exposure to natural gas odorant.
- Obtained judgment for a regional utility services provider in a trial involving encroachments into a flood easement.
- Represented a fire extinguisher manufacturer in a wrongful death and severe personal injury case arising from a combustible dust explosion.
- Won summary judgment for a real estate company in a commercial dispute involving contract claims and intentional torts.
- Won summary judgment for client in a multi-million dollar commercial dispute involving aquaculture products and facilities in Alabama and Mississippi.
- Defended a global chemical company, its subsidiary, and its employees in an industrial accident involving traumatic personal injuries.
- Represented an international aircraft manufacturing company in product liability and wrongful death actions filed in three states.
- Won summary judgment for a regional bank on breach of contract claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a specialty metals manufacturing company in a commercial case involving contract claims and intentional torts.
- Defended a tire manufacturer in an SUV roll-over case resulting in alleged traumatic brain injuries.
- Alabama Super Lawyers®, 2011-2015 – Rising Star, Personal Injury Defense: Products
Bryan's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association – Litigation Section, Product Liability Committee; Automotive Subcommittee, Co-Chair
- Alabama State Bar Association – International Law Section, Treasurer
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Inns of Court
- Boy Scouts of America, Assistant Scoutmaster
- YMCA Fundraiser
- West Point Society of Birmingham
Judge Karon O. Bowdre
United States District Court, in the Northern District of Alabama