Bryan is an Associate in Maynard Cooper’s Birmingham office and a member of the firm’s Public Finance and Tax practice groups. He is a member of both the Florida and Alabama Bar Associations.
In his public finance and tax practice, Bryan focuses on projects utilizing New Markets Tax Credits, State and Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits, and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits. He assists developers, nonprofits and other sponsors in structuring, documenting and closing transactions that involve a range of tax credits, financing arrangements and equity investments. He also advises tax credit investors and syndicators in structuring and documenting tax credit equity investments.
Bryan also concentrates his tax practice on leading developers, sponsors, investors and other clients through the complexities of the emerging Opportunity Zone Program and structuring transactions to take advantage of the Opportunity Zone tax incentives. He also advises clients on partnership tax issues, structuring real estate projects, joint ventures, and other tax aspects of development financing, investments and business formation.
Bryan also has experience assisting local, regional and national banks, institutional lenders and non-bank lenders in secured and unsecured transactions, syndicated lending transactions, structured finance transactions and multi-state transactions. He has advised lenders and borrowers in structuring and documenting commercial and industrial loans, commercial real estate and construction loans, business acquisition financing, equity financing and various other types of credit facilities.
Bryan earned his LL.M. in Taxation and his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. He holds a B.S., summa cum laude, in Finance from Auburn University.
- Represented a high school on an $18 million financing that utilized federal new markets tax credits in connection with the construction of a student performing arts center.
- Represented a higher education institution on a $7 million financing that utilized federal new markets tax credits in connection with the rehabilitation of an administrative and career development building.
- Represented a nonprofit organization on a $10 million financing that utilized federal new markets tax credits in connection with the construction of a boys and girls club facility.
- Represented a manufacturer on a $10 million financing that utilized federal new markets tax credits in connection with a manufacturing facility.
- Represented a manufacturer on restructuring a $63 million financing that utilized federal and state new markets tax credits in connection with a manufacturing facility joint venture.
- Represented a syndicator on a $21 million sale of an investment portfolio consisting of properties that utilized federal and state low-income housing tax credits.
- Represented a developer on a $33 million historic rehabilitation of a mixed-use building that utilized state historic tax credits.
- Represented an oil and gas company on a $1 billion syndicated credit facility.
- Represented an agent bank on a $750 million syndicated credit facility to a manufacturer.
Bryan's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar
- Florida State Bar
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- ALS Association (Alabama Chapter) Junior Board Member
- Auburn University College of Business Young Alumni (Birmingham Chapter), Leadership Board Member
University of Florida Levin College of Law (2015, LL.M. in Taxation)
University of Florida Levin College of Law (2014, J.D., cum laude)
Auburn University (2010, B.S., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa)