Richard Wilkins primarily practices in the areas of commercial and insurance defense litigation, commercial transactions, banking, insurance coverage, admiralty, real estate and creditors’ rights/bankruptcy. Richard graduated from the University of Alabama in 1985 with a Bachelors Degree in Commerce and Business Administration and received his Juris Doctor in 1988 from the University of Alabama School of Law.
Richard served as a law clerk for the Honorable William Brevard Hand, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama, from 1988 through 1990. He joined Vickers Riis in 1990.
Admitted to the Alabama State Bar in 1988, Richard is licensed to practice before the Supreme Court of Alabama, Supreme Court of the United States, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Alabama. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Torts and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), the Business Law Section, the Defense Research Institute, the Mobile Bar Association, the Maritime Law Association of the United States and the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute. Richard is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
Currently, Richard serves on the Alabama Market Board of Hancock Bank, as well as the Board of Directors of Goodwill/Easter Seals of Southwest Alabama.
He is a member and former President of the Mobile Rotary Club and is a member of the Senior Bowl Committee.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Richard's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar (1988)
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Mobile Bar Association
- Board of Directors of Providence Hospital (2017)
- Board of Directors of Hancock Holding Company, parent company of Hancock Bank and Whitney Bank (elected October 2016)
- Defense Research Institute
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Board of Directors
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Board of Directors of Goodwill Easter Seals of the Gulf Coast
- Rotary Club of Mobile
- President (2001)
- Senior Bowl Committee
University of Alabama School of Law (1988, J.D.)
University of Alabama (1985, B.S.)