Charlie is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Corporate, Securities & Tax practice group.
Clients from various industries seek Charlie’s counsel on a wide range of corporate law matters, including mergers, acquisitions, private equity, and venture capital investments, and corporate reorganizations. These clients represent companies from every stage of the business lifecycle, from technology and bioscience startups to Fortune 100 manufacturing companies. In the course of representing these clients, Charlie has developed particular expertise in cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, greenfield developments, and joint ventures.
As a former litigator, clients also routinely look to Charlie to help navigate pre-suit demands and implement litigation avoidance strategies.
Charlie’s skills and talents have earned him recognition by the Birmingham Business Journal as one of the city’s 2017 “Rising Star Lawyers,” and also by Mid-South Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” in the area of Business & Corporate Law. The M&A Advisor also recognized one of Charlie’s transactions as the “Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year ($10mm-$50mm).”
Charlie has represented publicly held and privately held clients on both the buy-side and the sell-side of transactions, including the following:
- Represented EHD Technologies, a provider of quality inspection, talent acquisition and managed services within the automotive industry, in its sale to PeopleLink (recognized by The M&A Advisor as the Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year ($10MM-50MM) in 2018)
- Represented Computer Programs and Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CPSI) in its $250 million acquisition of Healthland Holding Inc., a provider of electronic health records (EHR) and clinical information management solutions to hospitals.
- Represented CHS Inc. (NASDAQ: CHSCP, CHSCO, CHSCN, CHSCM, CHSCL) in its acquisition of Patriot Holdings, LLC, a holding company, the principal assets of which included a 125-million-gallon-per-year ethanol production facility and a biodiesel production facility.
- Represented CHS Inc. (NASDAQ: CHSCP, CHSCO, CHSCN, CHSCM, CHSCL) in its acquisition of the assets of PICO Northstar Hallock, LLC, a canola crushing and processing facility.
- Represented Tyco Fire Products LP, an indirect subsidiary of Johnson Controls International PLC (NYSE: JCI), in its sale of a product line to Anvil International.
- Represented Action Resources, Inc., a provider of transportation services of specialty chemicals and hazardous wastes, in its acquisition of Stella Environmental Holdings, Inc., a provider of waste transfer services.
- Represented Emergency CallWorks, Inc., a developer and provider of next-generation 9-1-1 call talking software for public safety, in its sale to Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI).
- Represented a development and property management company in its sale of 16 first-in-class medical facilities to a private equity fund.
- Represented Protective Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Protective Life Corporation (NYSE: PL-PC, PL-PE), in its acquisition of VSWC Holding Company, a holding company of markets vehicle service contract, GAP coverage and ancillary automotive maintenance and protection product providers.
- Represented the founders of Challenger Industries, Inc., the nation’s largest independent manufacturer of artificial grass, in their sale of a controlling interest to TenCate Grass.
- Represented the founder of GeoSurfaces, Inc., in his sale of a controlling interest to TenCate Grass.
- Represented Greenscapes Home and Garden Products, Inc. in its sale to Hanes Companies, Inc., a subsidiary of Leggett & Platt (NYSE: LEG).
- Represented The Solberg Company, a leading firefighting foam manufacturer, in its sale to Perimeter Solutions.
- Represented an affiliate of McWane, Inc. in its acquisition of Waterman Industries, a leading domestic manufacturer of cast iron and fabricated stainless steel water control gates.
Prior to his transition to a general corporate practice, Charlie achieved significant victories on behalf of his clients as a litigator, including the following:
- Achieved summary judgment on behalf of Liberty Mutual Life Insurance Company in a suit claiming the tort of outrage based on the administration of worker’s compensation benefits.
- Achieved dismissal of numerous shareholder derivative suits brought against a financial holding company alleging claims of corporate waste and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Achieved dismissal following discovery of a suit alleging the intentional violation of state and federal environmental laws by the Alabama affiliate of one of the nation’s largest waste management companies.
- Achieved a multi-million dollar award on behalf of two individuals in an arbitration proceeding initiated to recover incentives owed to them by the entity that purchased their medical technology business.
- Achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of an aluminum building and roofing manufacturer in a suit brought against its insurer for failure to provide a defense and indemnity related to environmental cleanup performed by EPA.
- Achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of an environmental remediation company in a suit alleging the negligent cleanup of a contaminated site.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Business & Corporate Law (2017 – present)
- The M&A Advisor Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year ($10MM-$50MM) (2018)
- Birmingham Business Journal‘s “Rising Star Lawyers” (2017)
Charlie’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association, Future Leaders Forum (2014)
- Birmingham Venture Club, Board of Directors
- UT College of Law Alumni Counsel
- Saint Andrew’s Society of the Middle South
- Restoration Academy
Charlie’s Speaking Engagements
- November 2018: “Start-Up Basics” for UAB Commercialization Accelerator, Birmingham, AL
- April 2018: “Start-Up Basics” for UAB Commercialization Accelerator, Birmingham, AL
- February 2018: “Exit Preparation – Begin with the End in Mind” for Founders Advisors and Merrill Lynch CEO Breakfast Forum, Birmingham, AL