Charles is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Compliance, Investigations, and White Collar Defense Group, and his practice focuses on providing legal counsel to businesses and executives facing or looking to prevent government investigations and enforcement actions.
Charles has navigated clients through investigations involving the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Congress, and other state and federal regulatory and enforcement agencies. In addition, he advises clients on corporate compliance and conducts tailored trainings on issues such as cyber security, data privacy, import/export matters, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and campaign finance. Finally, Charles also assists companies in conducting internal investigations.
Prior to Maynard Cooper, Charles worked with Husch Blackwell LLP in Washington, DC. Throughout his time in Washington, Charles cultivated high-level contacts at relevant regulatory and enforcement agencies which he can utilize to further clients’ objectives when needed.
Charles earned his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law and holds a B.A. in Philosophy from Washington and Lee University.
- Represented multinational technology company in DOJ National Security Division investigation
- Assisted international Fortune 500 technology company with trade sanctions matter brought by Office of Foreign Assets Control
- Provided Fortune 500 infrastructure company with business structuring advice for compliance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulations
- Assisted Fortune 500 infrastructure company in determining antiboycott reporting requirements and compliance for Treasury and Commerce Departments
- Represented multiple CEO’s and companies before the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in connection with the Congressional investigations into Russian election interference
- Represented large regional hospital organization before Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in false claims matter
- Represented contracting company in criminal fraud and civil False Claims Act proceedings with DOJ
- Assisted real estate client with SEC investigation related to potential violations of federal securities laws
- Charles Fleischmann & Ephraim Hintz, A New Decade in Data Privacy: Complying with CCPA, COMPLIANCE AND ETHICS PROFESSIONAL, (forthcoming April 2020)
- Charles Fleischmann & Mark Grider, A Washington View of Global Anti-Corruption, COMPLIANCE AND ETHICS PROFESSIONAL, June 2018, at 26
University of Alabama School of Law (2014, J.D.)
Washington and Lee University (2011, B.A. Philosophy with Honors)
The Honorable Harry S. Mattice, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee (Pre-law school internship)