Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Christian helps clients with complex transactional, litigation, and advisory work related to debtor-creditor relationships, including restructuring through Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and out-of-court workouts. He has represented parties in complex litigation arising in bankruptcy proceedings, and in other federal or state courts; advised lenders on distressed and alternative finance; and advised owners and lenders in connection with restructurings and workouts. Christian also helps clients navigate corporate law, real estate, commercial finance, and loan documentation issues arising in distressed-debt scenarios.
An active member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, Christian serves on several committees relating to his areas of expertise. In addition, he has authored numerous articles that have been featured in American Bankruptcy Institute publications.
Christian received his J.D. and LL.M. degrees from the University of Alabama School of Law in 2017, where he served as Acquisitions and Research Editor for the Law and Psychology Review and won first place in the American Bankruptcy Institute’s eighth annual Bankruptcy Law Student Writing Competition. Christian also represented the University of Alabama School of Law at the twenty-fifth Annual Judge Conrad B. Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition, and currently serves as a coach for the University of Alabama School of Law’s Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition teams.
- ABI Diversity Group Mentorship Program Mentee (2022-23)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy (2022)
Christian's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association (Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Asset Sales Committee; Bankruptcy Litigation Committee; Business Reorganization Committee; Commercial Fraud Committee; Emerging Industries and Technology Committee; Real Estate Committee; Secured Credit Committee; Young and New Members Committee)
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama (¡HICA!), Junior Board Member
- PARCA Roundtable Class of 2021
Affirmative Misrepresentations and Failures to Disclose Are Different Animals, American Bankruptcy Institute Young & New Members Comm. Newsletter (March 2021)
Why Derivative Standing Might be Inappropriate in Chapter 7 Cases, 39 Amer. Bankr. Inst. J. 22 (November 2020).
Generation Resources: Tenth Circuit Holds that a Subsequent Transferee of Proceeds of an Initial Fraudulent Transfer is not a Transferee, for Purposes of Section 550., American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Comm. Newsletter (September 2020)
Willful Ignorance Is Not Good Faith: Why the Texas Supreme Court Correctly Answered Janvey v. GMAG, L.L.C., American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Comm. Newsletter (February 2020)
Fifth Circuit Holds that Bankruptcy Courts Cannot Enforce Discharge Injunctions Issued in Other Districts, and that Certain Private Student Loans are Not Subject to § 523(a)(8)'s Exception to Discharge, Stream of Commerce Newsletter (Fall 2019)
Are Cryptocurrencies True Currencies? Evaluating Cryptocurrencies Under § 550, American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Litigation Comm. Newsletter (January 2019)
Distinction Without Difference: Substantial Certainty Under § 523(a)(6), American Bankruptcy Institute Commercial Fraud Comm. Newsletter (August 2018)
Real Estate Sales Free and Clear of Unexpired Leases Under § 363(f), American Bankruptcy Institute Business Reorganization Comm. Newsletter (July 2018)
Is Undue Hardship an Undue Burden? An Argument in Favor of Presumptive Non-Dischargeability for Federal, but Not Private, Student Loans in Bankruptcy, American Bankruptcy Institute Journal 40 (June 2016).
Christian's Speaking Engagements
- July 22, 2021: Pursuing a Career Path in Commercial Fraud/Litigation
- September 23, 2020: 2020 HNBA/VIA Corporate Counsel Conference & Annual Convention, Navigating in Stormy Economic Seas: A Commercial Lawyer's Primer on Bankruptcy and Protecting and Maximizing Your Rights in Dealing with Financially Troubled Customers and Suppliers and Distressed Mergers & Acquisitions
- March 6, 2019: Bankruptcy Litigation Committee Newsletter Follow Up Call, "Are Cryptocurrencies True Currencies? Evaluating Cryptocurrencies Under § 550"
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. Tax Court
Birmingham, Al. Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that Christian A. Pereyda has joined the Firm as Of Counsel in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice Group. He will practice out of the Birmingham office. Christian‘s practice focuses on complex transactional, litigation, and advisory work related to debtor-creditor relationships...Read More