David is a Shareholder and member of the Labor & Employment practice at Maynard Cooper. He has held various positions of leadership in the firm, including serving on the Firm’s Executive Committee.
David has over 20 years of experience as a labor and employment attorney. During that time he has served some of North Alabama’s largest employers as legal counselor and advisor. David addresses the full range of his clients’ employment law needs, including advising them on employment policies, employee discipline and termination, harassment training, reductions in force and wage and hour issues. David also works on immigration matters, including helping to resolve one of the country’s largest EB-5 lawsuits. Although his primary goal is to help clients avoid lawsuits, David is an experienced trial attorney, having tried a wide variety of employment cases in federal and state courts.
David also works with clients to protect their intellectual property and trade secrets, both during and after employment. In this regard, David handles trade secret and non-compete cases.
Manufacturing and Distribution
David is particularly experienced working with clients in the manufacturing and distribution industries. He works with these clients to meet the wide-ranging legal challenges these industries face on a daily basis, from labor and employment, to workplace safety (OSHA) to immigration.
David also is closely aligned with the Government Contracts & Bid Protests practice at Maynard Cooper. In this capacity, he regularly works on employment issues specific to defense and aerospace contractors, large and small.
Serious Workplace Injuries
David also has experience in several areas related to catastrophic injuries in the workplace. This experience includes defending worker’s comp death cases, co-employee claims, premises liability for owners and employers, as well as defending OSHA claims.
He is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in both The Best Lawyers in America and Alabama Super Lawyers. David was recently named the Best Lawyers’ 2016 Huntsville Litigation-Labor and Employment “Lawyer of the Year”.
David received his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law and holds a B.A. from the University of Texas.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Employment Law: Management, Litigation: Labor & Employment, and Labor Law: Management (2010 – present)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year“ for Labor & Employment (2016)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Employment Litigation: Defense (2016 – present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Employment & Labor (2014-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Inns of Court
- Leadership Huntsville/Madison County, Inc., Past Board Chair
- Boys & Girls Clubs of North Alabama, Board Member
- Jewish Federation of North Alabama, Board Member
- Huntsville Committee of 100
University of Alabama School of Law (1992, J.D., Alabama Law Review, Developmental Editor)
University of Texas (1989, B.A.)