David is a Shareholder and member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group at Maynard Cooper. He has held various positions of leadership in the Firm, including serving on the Executive Committee.
For over 25 years David has handled a wide variety of lawsuits in federal and state courts. They include cases ranging from employment, trademark, and commercial disputes to real estate, premises liability, and serious injury cases.
Labor and Employment
David represents employers of all sizes, including some of the largest in the South. He partners with his clients to comply with the full range of federal and state employment laws, including wage and hour, safety and health (OSHA), FMLA, and anti-discrimination laws. David helps clients develop employee policies and risk management strategies to reduce their risk of employment liability. He also conducts interactive harassment and management training. David also supports clients facing sensitive discipline or termination situations. He assists clients going through reductions-in-force or implementing labor cost-saving strategies.
Although his primary goal is to help employers avoid lawsuits, David is an experienced employment trial attorney. He has tried, and helped clients win, employment cases in federal and state courts.
David also works with clients to protect their intellectual property and trade secrets, including handling non-compete cases.
David has experience representing clients in catastrophic injury cases. This includes defending worker’s compensation death cases, co-employee claims, premises liability for owners and employers when a contractor is injured on their property, as well as defending OSHA claims.
For over 25 years David has worked with colleges and universities, including highly-regarded HBCUs, providing general legal advice and representing them in litigation. David is also experienced in helping colleges and universities with employment and Title IX matters.
Manufacturing and Distribution
David has a long history of working with clients in the manufacturing and distribution space. He works with clients to meet the wide-ranging legal challenges these industries face on a daily basis, from labor and employment to workplace safety (OSHA) to immigration.
Defense and Aerospace
David also is closely aligned with the Maynard Cooper’s Government Solutions Practice Group, and has assisted defense and aerospace contractors with employment and litigation issues across the country. He represents clients on Service Contract Act compliance issues and OFCCP matters.
David is rated AV Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell® and is listed in both The Best Lawyers in America© and Alabama Super Lawyers®. David has been named Best Lawyers’ 2016 Huntsville Litigation-Labor and Employment “Lawyer of the Year” in Huntsville.
David received his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law and holds a B.A. from the University of Texas.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Employment Law: Management, Litigation: Labor & Employment, Labor Law: Management (2010 – present)
- Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year“ for Labor & Employment (2016)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Employment Litigation: Defense (2016 – present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers® for Employment & Labor (2014 – 2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent™ Rating
David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- American Inns of Court
- Leadership Huntsville/Madison County, Inc., Past Board Chair
- Boys & Girls Clubs of North Alabama, Board Member
- Jewish Federation of North Alabama, Board Member
- Huntsville Committee of 100
David's Speaking Engagements
- 05/11/20: “2020 Lunch & Learn – Government Contracts & Legal Perspectives” Huntsville/Madison County Chamber (Webinar)
- 04/16/20: “COVID-19 Webinar: Confronting Employment Issues” Birmingham Business Alliance (Webinar)
University of Alabama School of Law (1992, J.D., Alabama Law Review, Developmental Editor)
University of Texas (1989, B.A.)