On March 4, 2021, The Bond Buyer: The Daily Newspaper of Public Finance released the “Southeast Yearend Review” which shows Maynard in the number 1 position serving as Bond Counsel for 2020. Maynard’s Public Finance group served as lead bond counsel in transactions totaling just shy of $3 billion, which...Read More
David is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper's Public Finance Practice Group.
With more than 20 years of experience, David represents some of the country’s premier financial institutions and underwriters in all aspects of bond financing across the United States. He works closely with national and state banking institutions, investment banking firms, governmental issuers, and private colleges and universities. David's practice focuses on municipal finance, school finance, 501(c)(3) finance and utility finance and recently completed serving for four years as national Chair of the educational panel of NABL's Bond Attorney Workshops comprised of nationally distinguished practitioners in public finance. He is also relied upon to assist municipalities and counties with economic development projects and is a frequent speaker at national and state events on public finance.
- Federal Lending: David is the primary bond counsel and noted authority for one of the federal government's long standing lending programs to rural water and sewer utility providers.
- 501c3 Financings: David has represented numerous regional banks on a national level as bond counsel and/or bank counsel in connection with providing tax-exempt direct placement credit facilities. He has served as lead bond counsel on projects in more than 17 states.
- Municipal Finance: David routinely serves as bond counsel to cities, counties, boards of education, universities, junior colleges, charter schools, and health care authorities, including serving as bond counsel to some of the fasting growing municipalities in the state.
- Utility Revenue Finance: David has served as bond counsel on tax-exempt financings for utility systems in virtually every county in the state of Alabama.
- Underwriter's Counsel: David routinely serves as underwriter's counsel to one of the country's largest underwriters of municipal bonds.
- Legislative Drafting: David frequently is asked to draft legislation in connection with levying new revenue sources for issuers of obligations to permit the levy of sales or ad valorem taxes.
- Economic Development: David has helped numerous cities and counties navigate through incentives and increment financings and validation actions to promote economic development for manufacturers, retailers, service industries, and other research institutions.
David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- The Betty Bell Center, Inc., former Junior Board Member
State Bar: Alabama
Birmingham, AL. Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to welcome Kyle Heslop to its Health Care Regulatory and Health Care Public Finance practice groups. An experienced Associate, Kyle will work in the firm’s Birmingham office. “We are excited that Kyle has chosen to join Maynard Cooper’s team,” said Jim Pool...Read More
MAYNARD COOPER & GALE EARNS HIGH RANKINGS IN THE 2018 CHAMBERS USA, AMERICA’S LEADING LAWYERS FOR BUSINESS
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that the Firm and many of its attorneys have earned distinguished rankings in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, the highly respected referral directory of the legal industry. Chambers USA ranked Maynard Cooper as one of the...Read More