Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More
David is a Shareholder and serves as the Chair of Maynard Cooper’s Commercial Finance Practice. A seasoned finance and corporate lawyer, he represents commercial banks, financial institutions, businesses and sponsors in the areas of commercial lending, business and commercial transactions, and commercial real estate law. His skills and talents have earned him recognition as a leader in the area of Banking and Finance by Chambers and Partners, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, as well as Best Lawyers’ 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in Commercial Finance for Birmingham.
David has extensive experience handling multiple types of financing transactions, including but not limited to, syndicated lending, leveraged lending, real estate lending, mezzanine lending, healthcare lending, direct lending, asset-based lending, leveraged ESOPs, and CMBS transactions. David has represented community banks, regional banks, and money-center banks, as well as direct, non-bank lenders in a number of single lender and multi-lender loan transactions. He has represented companies of all sizes and structures, from publicly-traded REITs to portfolio companies and closely-held businesses. David has extensive experience in financing structures in different industries, including media, oil and gas, transportation and logistics, private equity, healthcare, senior living, and multi-unit franchises. Along with loan originations, David also advises lenders and borrowers in connection with workouts and the acquisition and disposition of distressed assets.
David frequently teams with lawyers in the Firm’s M&A, Real Estate, Corporate, Public Finance, and Bankruptcy/Restructuring practice groups to provide expertise on debt capital and other levels of capital need based on the transaction, including transactions with tax credits or other forms of financial accommodations.
Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, David was in private practice with another national law firm.
- Representation of regional bank in connection with a cross-border, junior-senior loan transaction.
- Representation of a publicly-traded REIT as a borrower in connection with its syndicated loan portfolio.
- Representation of sponsor-backed portfolio companies in connection with acquisition financings.
- Representation of banks in multi-bank transactions, in both administrative and participating capacities.
- Involved in a full spectrum of real estate lending transactions including mortgage, bridge, and construction financing for various asset classes (mixed use, multifamily, condominium, retail, office, industrial, and hotel).
- Coordinates with Lenders on esoteric collateral structures.
- Counseled clients on loan transactions involving direct debt transactions with non-bank lenders in disfavored asset classes.
- Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking and Finance (2018 – 2019)
- Best Lawyers in America® (Commercial Finance Law, 2015 – present)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Commercial Finance Law (Birmingham, 2019)
- Super Lawyers®, Mid-South Rising Star in Banking (2018)
- Birmingham Business Journal “Rising Stars in Law” (2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV®-Preeminent Peer Review Rated
David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association (Member: Business Law Section; Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section)
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern)