Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Doug is a member of Maynard Cooper's Public Finance Practice, and he serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Senior Living & Long-Term Care Practice group. He represents clients in all aspects of public finance transactions, including bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, issuer's counsel, trustee's counsel, and credit enhancer's counsel. He has served as bond counsel to a variety of government and nonprofit organizations, including hospital systems, senior living communities, and local municipalities, and has represented both commercial and investment banks in structuring and enhancing tax-exempt financing. Doug's public finance practice focuses on innovative structures for project finance, capital projects for government, nonprofit organizations, senior living organizations, and affordable housing. He advises clients regularly with respect to guaranteed investment contracts, swap transactions, pledged revenue streams, funding agreements and other tools to enhance or secure bond issues. He is also experienced in representing clients in connection with distressed bond issues, including restructurings, workouts, and bankruptcy-related matters.
In his affordable housing practice, Doug serves as primary outside counsel to the Alabama Housing Finance Authority, which administers the State of Alabama's allocation of low-income housing tax credits under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code and its allocation of HOME Investment Partnerships Funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development. This representation includes general work with respect to allocation plans and program administration, lender's counsel with respect to HOME loans and issuer's counsel with respect to a variety of multi-family bond issues. In recent years, Doug has devoted substantial attention to workouts, restructurings and exit strategies for both lenders and investors in connection with distressed tax credit projects.
In his commercial lending and real estate practices, Doug represents both lenders and borrowers with respect to a variety of credit facilities and transactions, including commercial mortgage loans, revolving lines of credit, and the purchase, sale and development of real estate. He advises clients in all aspects of credit facilities, including collateral, guaranties, remedies and financial covenants. He also has experience representing lenders with respect to problem credit facilities, including workouts and restructurings.
Doug's abilities and talents as a lawyer are widely recognized, and Best Lawyers® named him "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Project Finance Law in 2017 and 2020, a distinction given to only one lawyer in each geographic area.
- Bond counsel in connection with $63,480,000 Retirement Facility Revenue Bonds (Redstone Village Project), Series 2007 Fixed Rate Bonds issued by The Special Care Facilities Financing Authority of the City of Huntsville - Redstone Village
- Bank counsel in connection with direct purchase of $87,505,000 Revenue Bond (St. Joseph's/Candler Health System, Inc.), Series 2016A issued by Hospital Authority of Savannah for the benefit of St. Joseph's/Candler Health System, Inc.
- Bond counsel in connection with bankruptcy proceedings related to $38,485,000 Retirement Facility Revenue Bonds (Carlton Cove, Inc. Project), Series 2001-A Fixed Rate Bonds; $5,000,000 Retirement Facility Revenue Bonds (Carlton Cove, Inc. Project), Series 2001-B Extendable Rate Adjustable Securities (EXTRAS); $670,000 Retirement Facility Revenue Bonds (Carlton Cove, Inc. Project), Series 2001-C Taxable Bonds; and $25,000,000 Retirement Facility Revenue Bonds, (Carlton Cove, Inc. Project), Series 2001-D Variable Rate Demand Bonds issued by The Special Care Facilities Financing Authority of the City of Huntsville - Carlton Cove for the benefit of Carlton Cove, Inc.
- Bond counsel in connection with $7,000,000 Multi-Family Housing Revenue Bonds (McClellan Assisted Living Facility, LP Project), Series 2013A issued by McClellan Development Authority for the benefit of McClellan Assisted Living Facility, LP
- Conduit borrower's counsel in connection with $14,000,000 Senior Living Revenue Bonds (River Highlands Senior Project), Series 2015A issued by The Medical Clinic Board of the City of Hoover for the benefit of River Highlands, LLC
- Conduit borrower's counsel in connection with not to exceed $27,350,000 Senior Living Revenue Bonds (Cypress Point Project), Series 2016 issued by Florida Development Finance Corporation for the benefit of Cypress Point Living, LLC
- Issuer counsel in connection with $5,400,000 Multi-Family Housing Revenue Bond (The Jefferson Davis Project), 2016 Series A issued by Alabama Housing Finance Authority for the benefit of GCHP-Jefferson Davis, LLC
- Issuer's counsel in connection with $7,280,000 Multi-Family Housing Revenue Bond (Chestnut Glen and Legacy Hill Projects), 2015 Series A issued by Alabama Housing Finance Authority for the benefit of 360 Properties Huntsville, L.P.
- Underwriter's counsel in connection with $60,000,000 General Fee Revenue Bonds, Series 2006-A, issued by Auburn University
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Project Finance Law and Public Finance Law (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2020 and 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" for Project Finance Law in Birmingham
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Doug's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Section of Real Property, Probate and Trust Law
- American Bar Association Forum, Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Birmingham Bar Association
State Bar: Alabama
On March 4, 2021, The Bond Buyer: The Daily Newspaper of Public Finance released the “Southeast Yearend Review” which shows Maynard in the number 1 position serving as Bond Counsel for 2020. Maynard’s Public Finance group served as lead bond counsel in transactions totaling just shy of $3 billion, which...Read More
Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More