Duane Kumagai is the Managing Partner of Maynard Cooper’s Los Angeles office and member of the Complex Litigation Practice. A 30-year California attorney, Duane has extensive experience litigating commercial, real property and business fraud disputes; and protecting the rights of creditors in corporate bankruptcy cases. An expert on creditors’ rights and provisional remedies, Duane speaks to bar groups on writs of attachment, receiverships, judgment enforcement, and bankruptcy law. He regularly appears in the U.S. District, U.S. Bankruptcy and California Superior Courts.
Duane’s clients hail from the United States, Asia, Europe and Latin America, and represent diverse industries, such as technology, new media, manufacturing, distribution, banking & financial, commercial real estate, automotive, construction, apparel, entertainment, franchising, food, advertising, retail, international trade and clean energy.
Duane strives in every case to deliver efficient, first-class representation and optimal results. He believes that intelligent strategies and swift, decisive action are the keys to success in the courtroom. Duane provides pro bono litigation and creditor-bankruptcy support to Asian Americans Advancing Justice and volunteers with local civic and academic organizations.
Before joining Maynard Cooper, Duane practiced with top law firms in Los Angeles, and founded and led Kumagai Law Group, in L.A.’s Century City business district.
- Top 50 California Super Lawyers® (2019)
- Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, California (2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell ® AV – Preeminent Rating (2004 – present)
Duane's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Century City Bar Association, Governor and 2015-2017 President
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association, California Minority Counsel Program (former Steering Committee member)
- Wilshire Bar Association
- The Esquire Network, Moderator
- Westside United Professionals (co-founder)
New York University School of Law (1985, J.D.)
Vassar College (1981, A.B. English)