Frances King Quick serves employers in the establishment and maintenance of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans and welfare benefit plans. Her practice includes the identification and resolution of fiduciary obligations to plan participants, correction of plan qualification issues arising under the Internal Revenue Code, updating plan documents to conform to legal requirements under ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code, submitting retirement plans and trusts to the Internal Revenue Service for approval and utilizing DOL correction programs for fiduciary breaches.
Frances assists employers by evaluating the most effective and efficient means of accomplishing their business goals. She assists in preparing employee compensation and benefit packages, through the identification and correction of plan deficiencies, preparation and review of employee notices and disclosures and compliance audits. She assists financial institutions in developing and reviewing retirement and welfare benefit products and correcting plan deficiencies through IRS and DOL correction procedures. She has experience with IRAs and mergers and acquisitions.
Frances’ extensive experience in these practice areas has been widely recognized. Frances was listed as Best Lawyers® 2016 ERISA “Lawyer of the Year” in Birmingham, and she has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© consistently since 2007, and in Mid-South Super Lawyers. Frances has also been listed as The Best Lawyers in America© in Health Care since 2010.
In 2016, Frances was inducted as a Fellow into the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel. She is a Life Fellow of the Birmingham Bar Foundation. Frances is a frequent speaker on topics of interest to benefits professionals and she was an adjunct professor at the University of Alabama School of Law teaching ERISA in 1997 and 1998.
Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Frances was a Law Clerk to former Northern District of Alabama Chief Judge Sam C. Pointer, Jr. from 1991-1992. Following her clerkship, she practiced with another Birmingham firm from 1992-2008.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and Health Care Law (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” in ERISA
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Employee Benefits (2016 – present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers – Employee Benefits/ERISA (2008-2015)
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Named Top ERISA Lawyer by Birmingham Magazine (2011)
- Birmingham Business Journal’s Best of Bar, 2006 – Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Birmingham Bar Association – Burton Barnes III 2012 Public Service Award
- American Bar Foundation – Fellow
- Birmingham Bar Association, Women Lawyers Section – Distinguished Service Award, 2002, 2010, 2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating – 2000-2016
- Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Birmingham Business Journal Bizwomen Mentoring Monday 2017 Mentor
Frances's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member, Sections of Taxation and Labor and Employment, Employee Benefits Committee, Executive Compensation Subcommittee and IRA Subcommittee
- Alabama State Bar Association, Women’s Section
- Birmingham Bar Association, Diversity and Inclusivity Task Force, 2016; Executive Committee, 2005-2008; Past Chair, Women Lawyers Section; Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Farrah Law Society
- University of Alabama School of Law Foundation, Board of Directors
- Alabama Profit Sharing and 401(k) Council
- Society of Human Resource Managers
- The Women’s Network, President 2009
- Junior Achievement of Alabama Board of Directors, Executive Committee, 2015-2017 Board Chair
- Birmingham Duplicate Bridge Club, Member
- Dahlia Society of Alabama, Member
- Trustee, King Family Cemetery
Frances's Speaking Engagements
- March 18, 2016: “DOL Audits: Legal Perspectives,” Panel Presentation, Birmingham, Alabama.
- April 15, 2015: “ACA After Five Years – 2015 Update,”Birmingham Society of Human Resource Management, Homewood, Alabama.
- April 22, 2015: “Affordable Care Act After Five Years – 2015 Update,” Birmingham Society of Human Resource Management, Vestavia, Alabama.
- February 12, 2014: “Healthcare Reform Update: Everything You Wanted to Know and Were Afraid to Ask,” Birmingham Society of Human Resource Managers, Birmingham, Alabama.
- June 4, 2013: “The Affordable Care Act and HIPAA,” Governor’s Labor & Management Conference, Perdido Key, Florida.
- April 10, 2013: “Affordable Care Act Legal Update,” Birmingham Society of Human Resource Managers, Birmingham, Alabama.
- March 19, 2013: “New EPCRS Procedures: New Rules for Plan Corrections,” Alabama Profit Sharing/401(k) Council, Vestavia, Alabama.
- August 28, 2013: “HIPAA Compliance”, International Society of Certified Employee Benefits Specialists, Hoover, Alabama.
- September22, 2010: “Retirement Design for Nonprofits and Related Compliance Issues”, Alabama Primary Health Care Association, Mobile, Alabama.
- Feb. 24, 2010: 401(k) Administrative and Fiduciary Issues, Merrill Lynch Trustees Round Table, Birmingham, Alabama.
- October 8, 2009: “Practical Tips for Avoiding or Surviving Fiduciary Litigation,” Alabama Bankers’ Association, Birmingham, Alabama.
- May 2006: “Understanding the 401(k) Regulations,” Alabama Profit Sharing/401(k) Council, Vestavia, Alabama.
- October 25-26, 2001: “Types of Retirement Plans”, 47th Annual Human Resources Management Conference, Birmingham, Alabama.
- November 6, 2007: “401(k) Retirement Plan Fees and Expenses”, Regions Morgan Keegan Trust Institutional Trust Institute, Mobile, Alabama.
- August 18, 2006: “Using IRAs And 401(k)s To Invest In Real Estate And Nontraditional Assets”, Lorman Education Services.
- July 22, 2005: “Taxation and Distribution of Benefits”
- January 22, 2003: “Mental Health Benefits”, Certified Employee Benefits Specialists (CEBS), Birmingham, Alabama.
- January 25, 2001: “CEBS Annual Benefits Update: Welfare Benefits Update” and “Cafeteria Plan Regulations”, Certified Employee Benefits Specialists (CEBS), Birmingham, Alabama.
- November 11, 2005: “Retirement Benefit Strategies: What You Need to Know Now”, Lorman Education Services.
- September 26, 2005: “The Role Trustees and HR Personnel Played at Enron”, Regions Morgan Keegan Institutional Trust Institute, Mobile, Alabama.
- 2000: Faculty Member, ERISA Symposium 2000, Alabama Bar Institute Continuing Legal Education, University of Alabama School of Law,.
University of Alabama School of Law (1991, J.D., Alabama Law Review, Managing Editor; Dean M. Leigh Harrison Award; Order of the Coif; Hugo L. Black Scholar; John A. Campbell Moot Court Board; Bench and Bar Legal Honor Society; Farrah Law Society)
University of Alabama (1979, B.A.)
Former Chief Judge Sam C. Pointer, Jr.
Northern District of Alabama