James is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Corporate, Securities and Tax practice group and serves as Chair of the firm’s Venture Capital and Emerging Growth practices. A seasoned practitioner, James has worked with clients ranging from high-tech starts-ups to large, mature manufacturing businesses, and his investor clients range from first-time hedge fund managers to experienced private equity teams. James focuses his practice on these two primary constituents (investors and high-growth operating companies), allowing him to gain in-depth knowledge and insight into his clients’ businesses and the industries in which they operate. His focused volume of experience also provides him with up-to-date knowledge of current investment and M&A deal terms and trends, as well as the ability to make connections and bring strategic value to his clients. James represents operating companies in connection with M&A transactions, venture capital, private equity, debt, and other financings; intellectual property licensing; the negotiation of complex strategic agreements; cyber security programs; and general corporate matters. He also represents investors in connection with fund formations, investments in and acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies, and securities compliance. James has consistently been recognized for his legal acumen in these areas by Chambers USA and The Best Lawyers in America.
Outside of his work with Maynard Cooper, James operates a high-end training program called the Entrepreneur Accelerator Program (EAP) that he founded in 2004 while President of the Birmingham Venture Club. EAP equips CEOs to take their operating companies to the next level, and CEO participants lead companies ranging from start-ups to those with more than $25 million in revenue. James also serves on numerous boards of directors, including boards of organizations focused on cultivating innovation economies and entrepreneurial ecosystems and accelerating entrepreneurial ventures. He is also an entrepreneur himself, having co-founded a strategic investment firm and several healthcare-focused start-ups.
James is also a founder and past Chairman of TechBirmingham (the Birmingham Area Technology Leadership Alliance), where he currently serves on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee. He also serves on the Boards of Directors of Innovation Depot, the Biotechnology Association of Alabama, the Alabama Information Technology Association and the Birmingham International Center.
- Sale of DAXKO, Inc. – Represented DAXKO, Inc. in connection with its sale to Pamlico Capital
- Sale of KLMK Group, Inc. – Represented Azalea Capital in connection with its sale of KLMK Group, Inc. to CBRE
- Sale of Endure Medical, Inc. – Represented Endure Medical, Inc. to Alcon Research, Ltd.
- Sale of Assets of Cardoffers.com, Inc., Flexoffers.com, Inc. & Buildoffers.com, Inc. – Represented Cardoffers.com, Inc., Flexoffers.com, Inc. & Buildoffers.com, Inc. in connection with a sale of credit card assets to Bankrate, Inc.
- Private Equity Investment in Health Information Designs, LLC – Represented Health Information Designs, LLC in connection with a private equity investment in the company by BV Investment Partners
- Sale of Preferred Surgical Products, LLC – Represented Preferred Surgical Products, LLC in connection with its sale to Ansell Healthcare Products, LLC
- Acquisition of KLMK Group, Inc. – Represented Azalea Capital in connection with its acquisition of KLMK Group, Inc.
- Sale of Atherotech, Inc. – Represented Atherotech, Inc. in sale to Behrman Capital
- Sale of ComFrame Software Corporation – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with its sale to NWN Corporation
- Sale of MedMined, Inc. – Represented MedMinded Inc. in connection with its sale to Cardinal Health, Inc. (NYSE:CAH)
- Sale of MaxVision, Inc. – Represented MaxVision, Inc. in connection with its sale to Riverside Fund
- Acquisition of Software Companies – Represented DAXKO, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Triangle 2 Partners, LLC and ARC Solutions, Inc.
- Sale of MPI Software Technology, Inc. – Represented MPI Software Technology, Inc. in connection with its sale to RackSaver, Inc. (now Verari Systems)
- Acquisition of Aquracy Corporation – Represented Investors in connection with their acquisition of Aquracy Corporation (now AQ2 Technologies)
- Sale of Shop-A-Snak Food Mart – Represented Shop-A-Snak Food Mart, Inc. in connection with its sale to The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ:PTRY)
- Venture Capital Investment by Murphree Venture Partners in Intrinergy, Inc. – Represented Murphree Venture Partners and other Investors in connection with their $15 million venture funding of Intrinergy, Inc. based in Richmond, Virginia
- Venture Capital Financings of DAXKO, Inc. – Represented DAXKO, Inc., in connection with its venture capital financings by Frontier Capital
- Strategic Investment by Ion Beam Applications, s.a. in PetroBeam, Inc. – Represented PetroBeam, Inc. in connection with its strategic investment by publicly traded Ion Beam Applications, s.a.(Belgium)
- Venture Financing of Definicare, LLC – Represented Definicare, LLC in connection with its venture capital financing
- Angel Financings of Acuitec, LLC, Grades First, ComplyMD, and MCM Technology – Represented Acuitec, LLC, GradesFirst, ComplyMD, and MCM Technology in their respective angel rounds of financing
- Formation and capitalization of venture capital fund – Represented S.C.O.U.T. Healthcare Fund, L.P., a growth-to-late stage healthcare-focused venture capital fund, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation and capitalization of private equity fund – Represented Scout Alabama Fund, L.P., a private equity fund focused on small middle market companies, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation and capitalization of hedge fund – Represented SW Municipal Enhanced Income Fund, LLC, a hedge fund, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation of CAPCO Fund – Represented Aegis Alabama Venture Fund in connection with its formation
- Formation of Chinese Subsidiary – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with the formation of a subsidiary in China
- Venture Capital and CAPCO Financings – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with multiple venture capital and CAPCO financings
- Venture Capital Financing of eVault – Represented eVault, Inc. in connection with its venture capital financings
- Negotiation of Cross-Border Licensing Agreement – Represented Avanti Polar Lipids, Inc. in connection with the negotiation of its licensing agreement with TU Graz (Vienna, Austria)
- Preferred Stock Offering by Atherotech – Represented Atherotech, Inc., a cardio-diagnostic company that provides the VAP® (Vertical Auto Profile) cholesterol test, in connection with its venture capital and debt financings
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in the area of Corporate : Commercial (2009-Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Business Organizations including LLCs and Partnerships (2013-present); Corporate Law (2009-2014, 2017-present); Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2010-present); Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2009-present); Securities/Capital Markets Law (2007-present); Venture Capital Law (2009-present)
- Best Lawyers 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Venture Capital Law (2011 and 2016)
- Best Lawyers 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Business Organization including LLCs and Partnerships
- Birmingham Business Journal “Top 40 Under 40” (2005); “Forty Top 40 Under 40” (2015)
James's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- TechBirmingham, Founder and past Chairman; current Board of Directors and Executive Committee member
- Innovation Depot, Board of Directors
- Biotechnology Association of Alabama, Board of Directors
- Alabama Information Technology Association, Board of Directors
- Birmingham International Center, Board of Directors
- Birmingham Venture Club, past President