James is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Corporate & Securities practice group. He serves as Co-Chair of the Firm’s Private Equity practice and Chair of Maynard Venture Partners (the Firm’s Venture Capital and Emerging Growth practice). While James has worked with a broad range of clients operating in numerous industries, he focuses his practice in three primary areas – M&A, investments, and emerging growth companies. Specifically, he represents a high volume of private equity, venture capital, and other investment funds, strategic acquirers, and high growth companies. Focusing his practice in all of these areas allows him to gain in-depth knowledge and insight into his clients’ businesses and the industries in which they operate. This approach provides James with up-to-date knowledge of current M&A and investment deal terms and trends, as well as the ability to make connections and bring strategic value to his clients. James has consistently been recognized for his legal acumen in these areas by Chambers USA and The Best Lawyers in America.
Outside of his work with Maynard, James operates an accelerator that he founded in 2004 that equips CEOs to lead their operating companies to the next level. James also leads or serves on the boards of directors of several organizations, including those focused on cultivating innovation economies and entrepreneurial ecosystems. He is President of the Birmingham Venture Club, Co-Founder and past Chairman of TechBirmingham, and past Chairman of Innovation Depot. He currently serves on the boards of the foregoing institutions, as well as BioAlabama. James also leads key innovation and investment initiatives for the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
- Sale of DAXKO, Inc. – Represented DAXKO, Inc. in connection with its sale to Pamlico Capital
- Sale of KLMK Group, Inc. – Represented Azalea Capital in connection with its sale of KLMK Group, Inc. to CBRE
- Sale of Endure Medical, Inc. – Represented Endure Medical, Inc. to Alcon Research, Ltd.
- Sale of Assets of Cardoffers.com, Inc., Flexoffers.com, Inc. & Buildoffers.com, Inc. – Represented Cardoffers.com, Inc., Flexoffers.com, Inc. & Buildoffers.com, Inc. in connection with a sale of credit card assets to Bankrate, Inc.
- Private Equity Investment in Health Information Designs, LLC – Represented Health Information Designs, LLC in connection with a private equity investment in the company by BV Investment Partners
- Sale of Preferred Surgical Products, LLC – Represented Preferred Surgical Products, LLC in connection with its sale to Ansell Healthcare Products, LLC
- Acquisition of KLMK Group, Inc. – Represented Azalea Capital in connection with its acquisition of KLMK Group, Inc.
- Sale of Atherotech, Inc. – Represented Atherotech, Inc. in sale to Behrman Capital
- Sale of ComFrame Software Corporation – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with its sale to NWN Corporation
- Sale of MedMined, Inc. – Represented MedMinded Inc. in connection with its sale to Cardinal Health, Inc. (NYSE:CAH)
- Sale of MaxVision, Inc. – Represented MaxVision, Inc. in connection with its sale to Riverside Fund
- Acquisition of Software Companies – Represented DAXKO, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Triangle 2 Partners, LLC and ARC Solutions, Inc.
- Sale of MPI Software Technology, Inc. – Represented MPI Software Technology, Inc. in connection with its sale to RackSaver, Inc. (now Verari Systems)
- Acquisition of Aquracy Corporation – Represented Investors in connection with their acquisition of Aquracy Corporation (now AQ2 Technologies)
- Sale of Shop-A-Snak Food Mart – Represented Shop-A-Snak Food Mart, Inc. in connection with its sale to The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ:PTRY)
- Venture Capital Investment by Murphree Venture Partners in Intrinergy, Inc. – Represented Murphree Venture Partners and other Investors in connection with their $15 million venture funding of Intrinergy, Inc. based in Richmond, Virginia
- Venture Capital Financings of DAXKO, Inc. – Represented DAXKO, Inc., in connection with its venture capital financings by Frontier Capital
- Strategic Investment by Ion Beam Applications, s.a. in PetroBeam, Inc. – Represented PetroBeam, Inc. in connection with its strategic investment by publicly traded Ion Beam Applications, s.a.(Belgium)
- Venture Financing of Definicare, LLC – Represented Definicare, LLC in connection with its venture capital financing
- Angel Financings of Acuitec, LLC, Grades First, ComplyMD, and MCM Technology – Represented Acuitec, LLC, GradesFirst, ComplyMD, and MCM Technology in their respective angel rounds of financing
- Formation and capitalization of venture capital fund – Represented S.C.O.U.T. Healthcare Fund, L.P., a growth-to-late stage healthcare-focused venture capital fund, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation and capitalization of private equity fund – Represented Scout Alabama Fund, L.P., a private equity fund focused on small middle market companies, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation and capitalization of hedge fund – Represented SW Municipal Enhanced Income Fund, LLC, a hedge fund, in connection with its formation and capitalization
- Formation of CAPCO Fund – Represented Aegis Alabama Venture Fund in connection with its formation
- Formation of Chinese Subsidiary – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with the formation of a subsidiary in China
- Venture Capital and CAPCO Financings – Represented ComFrame Software Corporation in connection with multiple venture capital and CAPCO financings
- Venture Capital Financing of eVault – Represented eVault, Inc. in connection with its venture capital financings
- Negotiation of Cross-Border Licensing Agreement – Represented Avanti Polar Lipids, Inc. in connection with the negotiation of its licensing agreement with TU Graz (Vienna, Austria)
- Preferred Stock Offering by Atherotech – Represented Atherotech, Inc., a cardio-diagnostic company that provides the VAP® (Vertical Auto Profile) cholesterol test, in connection with its venture capital and debt financings
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in the area of Corporate: Commercial (2009-Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Business Organizations including LLCs and Partnerships (2013-present); Corporate Law (2009-2014, 2017-present); Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2010-present); Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2009-present); Securities/Capital Markets Law (2007-present); Venture Capital Law (2009-present)
- Best Lawyers 2018 “Lawyer of the Year” for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Venture Capital Law (2011, 2016 and 2020)
- Best Lawyers 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Business Organization including LLCs and Partnerships
- Birmingham Business Journal “Top 40 Under 40” (2005); “Forty Top 40 Under 40” (2015)
James's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- TechBirmingham, Founder and past Chairman; current Board of Directors and Executive Committee member
- Innovation Depot, Board of Directors
- Biotechnology Association of Alabama, Board of Directors
- Alabama Information Technology Association, Board of Directors
- Birmingham International Center, Board of Directors
- Birmingham Venture Club, past President
Cumberland School of Law (1997, J.D. , summa cum laude; Curia Honoris; Cumberland Law Review, Managing Editor; Presidential Scholarship)
Baylor University (1993, M.B.A., Omicron Delta Epsilon International Honor Society in Economics; Financial Management Association Honor Society)
Presbyterian College (B.S., 1992)