Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Jay is the Managing Shareholder of the firm's Mobile, AL office and is a member of the Corporate, Commercial Finance, and Real Estate practice groups.
In the area of commercial finance, Jay has represented borrowers and lenders in all areas of secured and unsecured transactions. With respect to secured transactions, Jay has experience documenting real property acquisition and construction financing, timber financing, vessel and aircraft financing, and equipment financing. He has also represented lenders in various letter of credit transactions. Best Lawyers® named Jay the 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" in Mobile for his abilities, professionalism and integrity in the area of Banking and Finance Law, a distinction given to only one attorney in each geographic area.
As a member of the real estate practice group, Jay has advised clients on a wide variety of real property matters including purchase and sale contracts, commercial leases, condemnation issues, condominium development, subdivision development, and formation of owners' associations for both condominiums and subdivisions. Jay was a member of the City of Mobile Planning Commission for over 12 years, serving as its Chairman until September of 2016.
"Jay has broad knowledge of the law and an understanding of business decisions. He brings a broad perspective to the table and helps me assess the risk of a transaction. His work is always first class. If there is too much risk, he will tell me so. He respects my business decisions, but makes sure I am fully aware of all the risks involved. "
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2014 for Banking & Finance
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law and Financial Services Regulation Law (2010-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" for Banking and Finance Law in Mobile
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Jay's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Mobile Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors and Vice-Chair Legal (2015, 2016 and re-elected to serve in 2017)
- City of Mobile Planning Commission, Chairman (2014-2016)
- Child Advocacy Center Board of Directors
State Bar: Alabama