Jim is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Securities & Tax Practice Group. He focuses his work in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings and corporate governance.
Jim has experience advising company clients ranging in size from emerging businesses to large corporations operating in a wide swath of sectors, including healthcare, consumer goods, education, fintech, and technology. He also handles a significant amount of work for portfolio companies of private equity funds. His advisory services range from business entity formation and corporate governance to private placement guidance and exit opportunity structuring.
A significant focus of Jim’s practice revolves around representing growth companies in the technology field and the venture capital firms, private equity funds, and broker-dealers that invest in such growth companies. He works closely with other members of the Firm’s Corporate Securities & Tax team, as well as members of the Intellectual Property and Labor and Employment groups, to provide cross disciplinary services to early and late stage companies and investors.
Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Jim worked in the Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia offices of a global law firm where he assisted clients in the venture capital and private equity space. Although his practice is concentrated in the corporate areas of law, Jim is also committed to pro bono service and has represented clients in state and federal courts.
Counsel to companies and investors in venture capital financings:
- Represented venture capital funds in early and late stage investments (i.e. Series Seed-Series D financings)
- Advised healthcare and education companies in venture capital transactions and corporate governance
- Counseled broker-dealers in a variety of venture capital financings
Counsel to companies and investors in buy and sell side transactions:
- Represented private equity funds in international stock and asset purchases
- Advised strategic buyers in mergers with industry competitors
- Directed technology companies in tactical corporate reorganizations
Washington and Lee University School of Law(J.D. , Moot Court Executive Board, Vice-Chair; Washington and Lee University School of Law Journal of Energy, Climate, and the Environment – Executive Development Editor; Burks Scholar; Klinedinst Honor Scholarship )
Washington and Lee University (B.S., cum laude)