Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Mr. Bussian is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper's Litigation Practice and has served as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
He represents clients in complex commercial litigation involving a wide variety of matters, including business torts, insurance coverage, health care, real estate, and products liability. Mr. Bussian has litigated as lead counsel in state and federal courts across Alabama and the Southeast, including Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Florida and has served as discovery counsel in MDL litigation in venues across the United States. He has extensive trial experience in both traditional and alternative dispute resolution forums.
Mr. Bussian has been recognized in such publications as Alabama and Mid-South Super Lawyers magazine, Best Lawyers, and Benchmark Litigation. He has tried jury and bench cases, including medical device and products liability, medical negligence, real property, construction defects, personal injuries, premises liability, product design, and insurance coverage.
Mr. Bussian also serves as the firm’s general counsel and is a member of the firm’s ethics and loss prevention committee.
- Led team of lawyers and defended condominium lenders in a multimillion-dollar lien priority dispute with owner's association.
- Defended various drug and medical device manufacturers in cases involving anticoagulants, antiarrhythmic agents, weight loss medications, and fracture fixation devices.
- Defended hospital system in federal and state court class actions brought by a putative class of uninsured patients.
- Represented eighteen former directors and officers of a healthcare company arising out of an alleged accounting fraud scandal against D&O carriers.
- Defended magazine distributors and sweepstakes operator against 209 Alabama opt-outs from class action settlement.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions: Defendants, Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2010-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for General Litigation (2008-present); "Top 50 Lawyers in Alabama" (2011-2012)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Jim's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Fellow
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 130 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized as leaders in their practice areas in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 63 practice areas...Read More