Jim Rotch is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Corporate, Securities and Tax Practice and has over 45 years of experience as a transaction lawyer and business counselor. Over the course of his career he has participated in all aspects of complicated business and finance transactions. Jim has significant experience with complex securities, tax, commercial lending, mining and other business and finance transaction issues. He has extensive experience helping businesses with issues of shareholder and/or family conflict.
In 1997, Jim authored the Birmingham Pledge (www.thebirminghampledge.org), which has grown into an international movement to eliminate racism and prejudice one person at a time.
Jim also organized and chaired the Birmingham Area Technology Task Force (BATT Force) in 2001-2002 and then chaired the Birmingham Area Technology Leadership Alliance (Tech Birmingham) which is implementing the strategic plan for the growth of technology businesses developed by the BATT Force for the Birmingham region. Jim has devoted a substantial part of his practice to technology transfer matters, with more than fifteen years experience in biotechnology, licensing and commercialization matters. Jim’s clients include manufacturers, banks and other financial institutions, distributors, construction companies and mining companies.
In January 2014, he joined the Board of Directors of National Cement Company, Inc., and was elected Chairman of the Board. National Cement has cement manufacturing operations in Alabama and California and ready mix concrete operations in California and the Southeastern U.S.
General Experience / Representative Transactions
- Acquisition of several ready mix concrete companies.
- Sale of medical-related biotechnology.
- Financial restructuring of a manufacturing company.
- Formation of technology company to develop an advanced optics technology project and assistance in the growth of that company.
- Merger of a closely-held software development company with a public acquirer
- Sale of Williamson Oil Company, a convenience store chain operator and petroleum distributor
- Collins Springs – sold former quarry to St. Clair County, Alabama, water authority
- General Outside Environmental Counsel – acted as general counsel to mining and cement company for environmental matters
- Representation of numerous start up and emerging businesses
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) (2016-present), Corporate Law (2006-present), and Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2010-present)
- AV Martindale-Hubbell® Preeminent Rated
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate Law (2008-2010)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in America
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute Appreciation Award (2009)
- National Conference for Community and Justice Award (2007)
- Birmingham Bar Burton Barnes Award (2006)
- Birmingham Magazine, “Men of Substance and Style” (2004)
- Birmingham Business Journal, “Communicator of the Year” (2001)
- Liberty and Justice Lifetime Achievement Award (2000)
- Operation New Birmingham Outstanding Achievement Award (1999)
- Alabama State Bar, Award of Merit (1999)
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, “Exceptional Leadership Award” (1999)
Jim's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Birmingham Pledge Foundation, Founder, and Chairman 1999-present
- National Cement Company, Inc., Chairman of the Board
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Alabama Information Technology Association, Advisory Board, Past Member
- Birmingham Area Technology Leadership Alliance (TechBirmingham), Past Chairman
- Birmingham Area Technology Task Force, Past Chairman
- Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Board 2004
- Governor’s Biotechnology Task Force, Past Member
- Leadership Alabama, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Leadership Birmingham
- Birmingham Venture Club, Past President
- Co-chair, Birmingham Region Auburn University Capital Fund Drive, 2006-2008
- Co-chair, University of Alabama at Birmingham Minority Health Research Center Gala, 2009-2012
- Auburn University College of Liberal Arts Dean’s Advisory Council
- The Edward Lee Norton Board of Advisors, Birmingham-Southern College
- Auburn University Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Leadership Council, Past Member
- Alabama Trust for Historic Preservation, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Alabama Business Charitable Trust, Board of Directors; Vice Chairman
- Granny Hester’s, LLC, Chairman of the Board
Honorable Clarence W. Allgood
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 1971-1972