Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
John represents leading financial services and insurance institutions in high-stakes cases involving a wide variety of coverage lines including professional and commercial liability, life, disability, and property coverage. His practice focuses primarily on the bad faith arena. He has litigated cases at the trial and appellate levels throughout the Southeast and across the country.
Prior to joining Maynard, John clerked for the Honorable Emmett R. Cox on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. As a law student, he served as Georgia Law Review’s Editor in Chief.
Before attending law school, John worked as a congressional aide and concentrated on health policy issues.
- Strickland v. Broome, No. 19-60176, 2020 WL 2280218 (5th Cir. May 7, 2020) (affirming dismissal of breach of fiduciary duty and constructive claims in action involving disputed payment of life insurance proceeds)
- Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Gelshenen, 387 F. Supp. 3d 634 (W.D.N.C. 2019), aff’d sub nom. Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Davis & Gelshenen, LLP, 801 F. App'x 915 (4th Cir. 2020) – Obtained judgment on the pleadings in trial court and affirmance on appeal that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnify policyholder in putative class action for alleged violation of Driver’s Privacy Protection Act. See also Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Greve, No. 3:17CV183-GCM, 2017 WL 5557669 (W.D.N.C. Nov. 17, 2017), aff’d sub nom. Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Ted A. Greve & Assocs., PA, 742 F. App’x 738 (4th Cir. 2018); Hartford Cas. Ins. v. Swapp Law, PLLC, 358 F. Supp. 3d 1210 (D. Utah 2018)
- Coast Inv. Grp., LLC v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., No. 8:15-CV-359-T-36TGW, 2016 WL 4690392 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 29, 2016), aff'd sub nom. Abel Band, Chartered v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., 686 F. App'x 834 (11th Cir. 2017) (affirming judgment on the pleadings that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnity insured under professional liability policy)
- Am. Gen. Life Ins. Co. v. Harshman, No. CV 2013-129-WOB-REW, 2015 WL 5474177 (E.D. Ky. Sept. 17, 2015) (granting summary judgment for insurer in action involving contested life insurance claim)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Insurance Law, Litigation - Banking and Finance (2021-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Insurance Coverage (2017 - present)
State Bar: Alabama, Georgia
Senior Judge, Emmett Ripley Cox
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2011-2012
Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (January 13, 2020) — Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard Cooper) is pleased to announce the promotion of five attorneys, effective January 1, 2020: Sarah S. Glover, James “Jay” C. Lester, John A. Little, Jr., and Finis E. St. John V were promoted as shareholders, and Chitra M. Kalyanaraman...Read More