Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More
John is Chair of the Firm's Litigation Practice Group. For 25 years, he has represented corporate clients in a variety of commercial and personal injury cases in courts across the country, including class actions, mass actions, toxic torts, business disputes, and serious personal injury and wrongful death cases. These representations have often involved being adverse to many of the country's premier plaintiffs’ firms in some of the country's most plaintiff-friendly jurisdictions. John values the relationships he has developed with his clients and with other lawyers through these experiences as his most significant professional accomplishment.
"John is a savvy, practical, efficient and experienced litigator with very good judgment and very good relations both with opposing counsel and the judiciary…exceptionally efficient."
Appellate Court Successes:
- Paine v. Jefferson National Life Insurance Company, et. al., 594 F. 3d 989 (8th Cir. 2010). Obtained summary judgment in Eastern District of Arkansas in a life insurance consumer sales fraud case. Affirmed by Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Henderson v. MeadWestvaco Corp., 23 So. 3d 625 (Ala. 2009). Obtained summary judgment for manufacturer in wrongful death mesothelioma case based on Alabama's common law rule of repose. Affirmed by Alabama Supreme Court on statute of limitations grounds.
- Edwards v. Kia Motors of America, Inc., 8 So. 3d 277 (Ala. 2008) and 554 F. 3d 943, (11th Cir. 2009). Obtained summary judgment in Northern District of Alabama for automobile manufacturer in franchise dispute with dealer. Affirmed by Eleventh Circuit after certified question presented to Alabama Supreme Court was answered in client's favor.
- Morguson v. Baxter Healthcare Corporation, 857 So. 2d 796 (Ala. 2003). Obtained summary judgment for medical device manufacturer in products case based on learned intermediary doctrine. Affirmed by Alabama Supreme Court.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions: Defendants (2013 - present); Personal Injury Litigation: Defendants (2019 - present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Civil Litigation: Defense (2016 - present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star", Civil Litigation Defense (2011); Civil Litigation Defense (2013-2015); "Top 50 Alabama Super Lawyers" (2014-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar, Board of Bar Commissioners (2015-Present); Disciplinary Commission (2016-present)
- Alabama Law Foundation, Atticus Finch Society
- Birmingham Inns of Court, Master of the Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- The Federalist Society, James Madison Club and Past President of Birmingham Chapter
- United Way of Central Alabama, Tocqueville Society New Member Committee Chair (2018), Retention Chair (2020)
- City Club of Birmingham, Board of Governors
- Monday Morning Quarterback Club
- St. Andrew's Society of The Middle South
- University of Alabama School of Law Foundation Board of Governors (2016 – Present)
- Vestavia Hills United Methodist Church, Head Usher (2012 – Present)
- Sigma Chi Foundation at Auburn University, Inc., Secretary
State Bar: Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi
U.S. Court of Appeals: Fifth Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court