Maynard, Cooper & Gale (Maynard) has earned the distinction of a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm and Highly Recommended Labor & Employment Firm in the recently released 2022 edition of Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide spotlighting the nation’s leading law firms and litigators. The list of Maynard lawyers recognized in the...Read More
John David's Profile
John David is a Shareholder and member of several practice groups in Maynard Cooper’s Litigation Section. He has held numerous leadership positions in the Firm, including serving as a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors.
John David focuses his practice on defending insurance companies, HMOs, TPAs, health benefit plans, plan sponsors, and managed health organizations in a variety of individual and class action matters including payor/provider contract disputes, benefit claim disputes, and fiduciary breach actions. John David also represents clients in class action lawsuits challenging the administration of 401(k) saving plans, stock drop litigation involving 401(k) savings plans, and employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs). He has defended plan sponsors, managed care organizations, and insurance companies in individual and class actions nationwide.
John David’s proven litigation skills often involve him in other practice areas at Maynard. He has extensive experience defending financial institutions, credit card issuers, debt buyers, mortgage companies, and mortgage servicers in individual and class claims arising from federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (“FACTA”), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), other state and federal statutes, and common law.
His clients include some of the nation’s largest national banks, mortgage companies/servicers, consumer finance companies, and credit card issuers. Because of his legal experience and in-depth industry knowledge, clients often seek John David’s advice and guidance in connection with regulatory compliance disputes, audits, and investigations.
The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers have recognized John David’s talents as a litigator, as well as in the areas of Insurance Law and Employee Benefits.
John David earned his J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Alabama.
John David's Accolades
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance Law, Commercial Litigation Law, and Litigation: Health Care Law (2013-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for General Litigation (2016-present)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for General Litigation and Employee Benefits (2013-2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in General Litigation (2010)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
John David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Torts and Insurance Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Life, Health and Disability Law Sections
- Birmingham Bar Association; Young Lawyers Section, Vice President, Public Service (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyer Project, Committee Member (2005)
- Public Service Committee Member
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern), Florida (Northern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
Honorable Edwin L. Nelson
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama