John David's Profile
John David is a Shareholder and member of several practice groups in Maynard Cooper’s Litigation Section. He has held numerous leadership positions in the Firm, including serving as a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors.
John David focuses his practice on defending insurance companies, HMOs, TPAs, health benefit plans, plan sponsors, and managed health organizations in a variety of litigation matters including payor/provider contract disputes, benefit claim disputes, and fiduciary breach actions. He has defended health care and insurance clients in individual and class actions nationwide.
John David’s proven litigation skills often involve him in other practice areas at Maynard. He has extensive experience defending financial institutions, credit card issuers, debt buyers, mortgage companies, and mortgage servicers in individual and class claims arising from federal and state consumer protection statutes, including the Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (“FACTA”), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), other state and federal statutes, and common law.
His clients include some of the nation’s largest national banks, mortgage companies/servicers, consumer finance companies, and credit card issuers. Because of his legal experience and in-depth industry knowledge, clients often seek John David’s advice and guidance in connection with regulatory compliance disputes, audits, and investigations.
The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers have recognized John David’s talents as a litigator, as well as in the areas of Insurance Law and Employee Benefits.
John David earned his J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. magna cum laude from the University of Alabama.
John David's Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance Law (2013-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for General Litigation (2016-present)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for General Litigation and Employee Benefits (2013-2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in General Litigation (2010)
John David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Litigation and Torts and Insurance Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute, Life, Health and Disability Law Sections
- Birmingham Bar Association; Young Lawyers Section, Vice President, Public Service (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association, Volunteer Lawyer Project, Committee Member (2005)
- Public Service Committee Member
University of Alabama School of Law (2000, J.D., summa cum laude; Alabama Law Review, Senior Articles Editor; Hugo Black Scholar; Order of the Coif; Dean M. Leigh Harrison Award; Research assistant for Dean Charles W. Gamble)
University of Alabama (1997, B.A., magna cum laude)
Honorable Edwin L. Nelson
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama