John is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Litigation Section. John also serves as Chair of the firm’s Product Liability and Environmental Practice. He handles commercial, product liability and environmental litigation.
John is experienced in trying jury and bench cases and has led large teams in mass tort and other complex cases. His work as an attorney has led him to represent clients in jurisdictions coast-to-coast including those in California, Louisiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, South Carolina, Utah and West Virginia.
John’s talents and accomplishments as a litigator have earned him numerous accolades, including the esteemed ranking as a Leading Commercial Litigator by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the area of Commercial Litigation and in Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products.
John has been fortunate to represent leading companies in multiple industries, including chemicals, utilities, manufacturing, construction and transportation. He is pleased to provide client references upon request.
He earned his J.D. from the Washington & Lee University School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from Birmingham-Southern College.
“John is a very skilled attorney who combines high-quality, cost-effective representation with the ability to interact with executives, middle managers and lower level employees alike. He covers product liability, mass torts and general commercial disputes.” – Client Testimonial
“John is excellent. He is very impressive in court, as he has excellent trial and negotiation skills. He is highly competent.” – Client Testimonial
- Trial counsel in a wide variety of products liability cases. These cases have involved a range of products including commercial buses, tires, boom lifts, forklifts, surveying equipment, alarm systems, smoke detectors, bathroom exhaust fans, electric control panels, fire extinguishers, liquid petroleum cylinders, x-ray machines and asbestos.
- Trial counsel in various chemical exposure and toxic tort cases, arising in both products liability and environmental contexts.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a chemical manufacturer defending more than 1600 consolidated personal injury claims in Alabama and West Virginia related to alleged injuries from exposure to chemicals.
- Trial counsel in catastrophic personal injury cases arising from workplace accidents, including internal investigation and OSHA response.
- Trial and appellate counsel in complex commercial and business litigation matters involving contractual disputes, fraud, tortious interference, and lost profit claims.
- Trial counsel in construction litigation cases.
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Litigation: General Commercial (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2013-present), Litigation: Environmental (2018-2019), Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2017-present), and Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions: Defendants (2019)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products (2011-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Alabama State Bar Association, Inaugural Class of Bar Leadership Forum (2005); Bar Leadership Forum Planning Committee, Class II (2006)
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievance Committee, Former Member; CLE Committee, Former Member; Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Eleventh Circuit Historical Society
Honorable Joel F. Dubina
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.