Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three lawyers and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More
Over the past 25 years, John has successfully defended complex commercial and tort litigation in state and federal courts around the country. John is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper's Litigation Section. John also serves as Chair of the Firm's Product Liability Practice.
John is experienced in trying jury and bench cases and has led large teams in mass tort, class action and other complex cases. John has handled cases in California, Alabama, Louisiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, South Carolina, Utah, and West Virginia.
John's talents and accomplishments as a litigator have earned him numerous accolades, including the esteemed ranking as a Leading Commercial Litigator by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business and “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation. He is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Litigation: Environmental, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action: Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation: Defendants and in Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products.
John has been fortunate to represent leading companies in multiple industries, including chemicals, utilities, manufacturing, pulp and paper, construction, and transportation. He is pleased to provide client references upon request.
He earned his J.D. from the Washington & Lee University School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from Birmingham-Southern College.
"He brings a real strategy and level of sophistication."
"John is a very skilled attorney who combines high-quality, cost-effective representation with the ability to interact with executives, middle managers, and lower-level employees alike. He covers product liability, mass torts, and general commercial disputes."
"John is excellent. He is very impressive in court, as he has excellent trial and negotiation skills. He is highly competent."
- Trial counsel in a wide variety of tort cases. These cases have involved a range of products including commercial buses, tires, boom lifts, forklifts, surveying equipment, alarm systems, smoke detectors, bathroom exhaust fans, fire extinguishers, pool pumps, propane tanks, x-ray machines and asbestos.
- Trial counsel in various chemical exposure and toxic tort cases, arising in both products liability and environmental contexts.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a chemical manufacturer defending more than 1600 consolidated personal injury claims in Alabama and West Virginia related to alleged injuries from exposure to chemicals.
- Trial counsel in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases arising from workplace accidents, including internal investigation and OSHA response.
- Trial and appellate counsel in complex commercial and business litigation matters involving contractual disputes, fraud, tortious interference, and lost profit claims.
- Served as settlement counsel for mass tort litigation.
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Litigation: General Commercial (2017-present)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation (2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2013 - present), Litigation: Environmental (2018-2019, 2021-present), Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2017 - present), and Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions: Defendants (2019 - present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Personal Injury Defense: Products (2011-2015)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar – Member of Inaugural Class of Leadership Forum (2005); Bar Leadership Forum Planning Committee, Class II (2006); CLE Speaker, State Bar Section on Dispute Resolution and the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution
- Alabama Law Institute – Judicial Article Study Committee
- American Bar Association – Litigation Section; CLE speaker at ABA’s Joint CLE for Environmental, Mass Torts and Product Liability Litigation
- Birmingham Bar Association – Grievance Committee; CLE Committee; CLE Speaker
- Legal Services Alabama – Board of Directors (2009-2015); Treasurer (2012-2015)
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham
State Bar: Alabama, Mississippi
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern), District of Columbia, Michigan (Eastern), Mississippi (Northern, Southern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Fifth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit, D.C. Circuit
Honorable Joel F. Dubina
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Maynard, Cooper & Gale (Maynard) has earned the distinction of a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm and Highly Recommended Labor & Employment Firm in the recently released 2022 edition of Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide spotlighting the nation’s leading law firms and litigators. The list of Maynard lawyers recognized in the...Read More
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More