Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
John is a Shareholder in the Firm's Public Finance and Health Care Practice Groups.
John's experience includes a variety of public finance transactions for governmental and private clients. In his more than 30 years of practice, he has served all of the primary roles in bond financing, including underwriter's counsel, bond counsel, counsel to the credit enhancer, and counsel to the issuer. The main industries in which John focuses his practice are health care and education finance. He also has experience drafting and negotiating interest rate swaps and other derivative products for swap market makers, as well as public and private clients.
John remains active in the community through his work with the Mountain Brook City Schools Foundation and Kirkwood by the River, a nonprofit continuing care retirement community.
"Not only is John accomplished and knowledgeable, he is also a considerate and cooperative attorney who helps to find meaningful solutions to problems and issues for the betterment of the entire transaction."
"John is an invaluable resource to which we turn in times of need and urgency."
- Underwriter's counsel: Numerous 501(c)(3) and governmental healthcare financings nationwide
- Bond counsel: Alabama public and private higher education financings
- Bond counsel: Alabama health care authorities in the financing and refinancing of publicly and privately offered debt
- Bond counsel: Cooperative district financing for an Alabama county school system
- Bond counsel: City, county, and school board financings in Alabama
- Derivatives counsel: Counsel to an investment bank nationwide in connection with swap transactions with numerous nonprofit and governmental healthcare providers and higher education institutions
- Tax counsel: Representation of governmental clients in connection with IRS audits of bond issues
- Trustee's counsel: Trustee's counsel in connection with new issues and distressed credits
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Public Finance (2006 - present)
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel, Fellow
- Mountain Brook City Schools Foundation, Board of Directors
- Birmingham-Southern College National Alumni Association, Past President
- Kirkwood by the River, Board of Directors
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham, Board of Directors
State Bar: Alabama
Honorable William M. Acker, JR.
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama