Maynard is pleased to announce that 200 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 11 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 56 of the Firm’s younger attorneys who are recognized...Read More
John is a Shareholder in Maynard's Securities Regulation & Corporate Finance Practice and serves as Co-Chair of the Firm's Banking and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups.
Representing both public and private companies, John focuses his corporate practice primarily in the areas of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, securities, regulatory matters, and related corporate issues and activities. He has extensive experience advising and representing banks, bank holding companies, trust companies, insurance companies, broker/dealers, and other regulated financial institutions of all sizes, ranging from large regional bank holding companies to privately held community banks and insurance brokers in all types of business transactions and corporate governance matters. In addition, John serves as general counsel for a family office and regularly advises and represents a variety of non-regulated clients in general corporate matters, business combinations, joint ventures, corporate finance transactions, fiduciary duty matters, antitrust issues, and executive and incentive compensation arrangements.
John has handled multiple matters involving the following areas, among others:
- Bank mergers involving both public and private companies
- Bank and trust company branching and geographic expansion activities
- De novo bank, bank holding company, and trust company formations
- Capital raising transactions
- Regulatory issues, examination, compliance, and enforcement proceedings, including fair lending investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and whistleblower claims
- Mergers and acquisitions involving insurance companies and insurance brokers (both retail and wholesale)
- Mergers and acquisitions involving manufacturing companies (both domestic and international)
- Mergers, acquisitions, and affiliations involving hospitals and other health care companies
- Mergers and acquisitions involving software and technology companies
- Private equity control and minority positions in both financial institutions and non-regulated companies
- Family office structure, regulatory issues, and investments in growth, venture, and other companies
- Executive employment agreements, non-competition agreements, and equity compensation plans
John's corporate talents are consistently recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©, and he was selected as the Best Lawyers 2019 and 2021 "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of Financial Services Regulation Law. He has also been distinguished as a leading practitioner in the area of Banking and Finance and Corporate Law by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
He earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from the University of Virginia.
"He is as smart a lawyer as I’ve worked with. He is exceptionally bright and committed. Whenever John is involved, I know how, when and where things will get done. He is very talented."
"He is good at working through complex issues, why we should or shouldn’t care about what other sides want, and what we can prioritize. He is levelheaded, calm and extraordinarily well organized and thorough."
“John is one of the smartest lawyers I have ever worked with. He is absolutely outstanding.”
“He is brilliant – practical, pragmatic, efficient, and thorough. Some lawyers take too much time to be thorough and that’s not efficient, but John does not work like that. I can count on him on all of the relevant issues.”
“He is very experienced, very level-headed, and extremely smart. A very calm and level-headed personality is key in negotiations.”
"He's supremely organized and always looking for innovative solutions to issues. He is a fabulous negotiator and gets deals done."
"John is excellent. He is thorough, detailed, responsive, and has a calm and rational demeanor."
- Chambers USA: Leading Individual in the area of Corporate Law (2018-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, Corporate Compliance Law, and Corporate Governance Law (2009-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Corporate Governance Law (2022), Financial Services Regulation Law (2019, 2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Banking (2016-present)
- Birmingham Magazine's 2017 "Top Attorneys" for Banking
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Banking (2012-2015)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Best of Bar" (2021)
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section; Banking Law Committee; Negotiated Acquisitions Committee
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievance Committee
- Birmingham Sunrise Rotary Club
- Maynard & Gale Charitable Foundation, Co-Chair
- McWane Science Center, Board of Trustees
- STAIR of Birmingham, Board of Directors
State Bar: Alabama
Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three attorneys and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More
MAYNARD REPRESENTS AAA COOPER TRANSPORTATION IN ACQUISITION BY KNIGHT-SWIFT TRANSPORTATION: EARNS A SPOT ON THE 2022 MID-MARKET DEALS OF THE YEAR
Maynard is proud to announce that the firm’s representation of Alabama-based AAA Cooper Transportation in its acquisition by publicly-traded Knight-Swift Transportation Holdings, Inc. (KNX: NYSE) earned a spot in the recently released list of the top 28 deals recognized in the Mergers & Acquisitions 2022 Mid-Market Deals of the Year...Read More