John is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Securities and Tax Practice Group and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Banking Practice.
Representing both public and private companies, John focuses his corporate practice primarily in the areas of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, securities, regulatory matters and related corporate issues and activities. He has extensive experience advising and representing banks, bank holding companies, trust companies, insurance companies, broker/dealers and other regulated financial institutions of all sizes, ranging from large regional bank holding companies to privately held community banks and insurance brokers in all types of business transactions and corporate governance matters. In addition, John serves as general counsel for a family office and regularly advises and represents a variety of non-regulated clients in general corporate matters, business combinations, joint ventures, corporate finance transactions, fiduciary duty matters, antitrust issues and executive and incentive compensation arrangements.
John has handled multiple matters involving the following areas, among others:
- Bank mergers involving both public and private companies
- Bank and trust company branching and geographic expansion activities
- De novo bank, bank holding company and trust company formations
- Capital raising transactions
- Regulatory issues, examination, compliance and enforcement proceedings, including fair lending investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice and whistleblower claims
- Mergers and acquisitions involving insurance companies and insurance brokers (both retail and wholesale)
- Mergers and acquisitions involving manufacturing companies (both domestic and international)
- Mergers, acquisitions and affiliations involving hospitals and other health care companies
- Mergers and acquisitions involving software and technology companies
- Private equity control and minority positions in both financial institutions and non-regulated companies
- Family office structure, regulatory issues and investments in growth, venture and other companies
- Executive employment agreements, non-competition agreements and equity compensation plans
John’s corporate talents are consistently recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©, and he was selected as the Best Lawyers 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Financial Services Regulation Law. He has also been distinguished as a leading practitioner in the area of Banking and Finance and a “Recognized Practitioner” in the area of Corporate Law by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
He earned his J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law, and he holds a B.A from the University of Virginia.
“He is as smart a lawyer as I’ve worked with. He is exceptionally bright and committed. Whenever John is involved, I know how, when and where things will get done. He is very talented.” – Client Testimonial
“He is good at working through complex issues, why we should or shouldn’t care about what other sides want, and what we can prioritize. He is levelheaded, calm and extraordinarily well organized and thorough.” – Client Testimonial
- Chambers USA: Recognized Practitioner in the area of Corporate/Commercial (2018)
- Best Lawyers® 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Financial Services Regulation Law
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Banking and Finance Law (2009-present); Financial Services Regulation Law (2016-present); Corporate Compliance Law and Corporate Governance Law (2017-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Banking (2016-present)
- Birmingham Magazine‘s 2017 “Top Attorneys” for Banking
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Banking (2012-2015)
John’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section; Banking Law Committee; Negotiated Acquisitions Committee
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association, Grievance Committee
- Birmingham Sunrise Rotary Club
- Maynard Cooper & Gale Charitable Foundation, Co-Chair
- McWane Science Center, Board of Trustees
- STAIR of Birmingham, Board of Directors