John P. Hanish, Ph.D., is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s New York office and a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Litigation and Intellectual Property Protection practice groups. John started his legal career at Fish & Neave and has 18 years of experience in the trial and appeal of patent licensing and infringement matters in the federal courts, International Trade Commission and arbitration.
John also practices in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office with respect to filing petitions and conducting proceedings for post-grant review, inter partes review and the transitional program for covered business method patent review. He also assists clients with patent prosecution and opinions regarding patent infringement and validity.
John’s doctorate and research experience help him assist clients with patent issues in the life sciences. John also has extensive experience with medical device, consumer product, technology and software patents.
Before he attended law school, John was a Winston Fellow at The Rockefeller University and a Research Scientist at the Sloan-Kettering Institute.
- Hatch-Waxman pharmaceutical drug product patent litigation
- Representing pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in patent licensing negotiations, patent infringement/validity disputes, and counseling regarding biologics and biosimilar drug products
- Defense of financial services companies against allegations of patent infringement asserted by non-practicing entities
John's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- International Intellectual Property Society
- Licensing Executives Society
- Scarsdale Little League
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Church
- North Dakota State University Alumni Association