Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
As Chair of Maynard Cooper’s Cybersecurity and Privacy practice, J.T. leads a diverse, deep bench of attorneys and technologists that handle a wide spectrum of cybersecurity and privacy issues on behalf of companies across the globe. J.T. began his career as a commercial litigator before becoming one of the early pioneers in the field of cybersecurity law. He is a founding member of the Sedona Conference Working Group on Data Security and Privacy Liability and is a frequent speaker on emerging issues in cybersecurity regulation and data breach litigation.
For more than a decade, J.T. has been lead counsel on over 500 cybersecurity incidents and has defended companies before the FTC, SEC, CFPB, NYSDFS, and European Data Protection Authorities. He has litigated multiple data breach cases in the United States.
J.T. Is known for bringing a practical, strategic approach to the table. He understands these issues need to be evaluated with the broader business context in mind and has an uncanny ability to frame these issues for the different audiences between the board room and the server room.
“After working with many highly regarded privacy attorneys, it is clear that J.T. is second to none.”
- Directing overall response to cybersecurity incidents
- Initiating and directing proactive cybersecurity and privacy risk assessments
- Developing and implementing compliance programs
- Defending companies in regulatory investigations and class action litigation
- Providing strategic advice on new and existing business initiatives
- Primary relationship partner with cyber insurance carriers and brokers
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Privacy and Data Security Law (2020 - present), Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law (2021-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2016-present)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Rising Star Lawyers" (2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Business Litigation (2011-2014)
State Bar: Alabama, New York
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit