Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three lawyers and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More
Jodie is a shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Public Finance Group. He has over twenty years of experience and focuses on tax-advantaged finance and securities transactions.
Jodie advises government, nonprofit, and for-profit organizations on taxable and tax-exempt financings, serving as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, issuer’s counsel, and underwriter’s counsel. Jodie also advises clients on related matters, including financing restructurings, interest rate swaps, tender offers, and economic development options and economic incentives (including tax revenue sharing arrangements with state and local governments). Finally, Jodie assists clients in navigating post-issuance tax and securities issues, such as determining permitted uses of bond proceeds, arbitrage and rebate compliance, and continuing disclosure.
New Markets Tax Credits, Opportunity Zones, and Other Types of Tax-Advantaged Financings
Jodie advises clients on other types of tax-advantaged financings such as deals eligible for federal and state New Markets Tax Credits and deals eligible under the federal Opportunity Zone program. In recent years, Jodie has closed several hundred million dollars in New Markets Tax Credits financings. A hallmark of Jodie’s NMTC experience has been his understanding of how to combine federal NMTCs with other financing programs like state NMTCs, federal and state historic tax credits, and taxable and tax-exempt bond financing.
Corporate and Economic Development
Jodie advises clients on corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and joint ventures and partnerships. He also advises clients on economic development options and economic incentives, including tax revenue sharing arrangements with state and local governments.
Public Service Commitment
Jodie’s peers have called on him to lead various organizations in the industry. Jodie now serves as President-Elect and a member of the Executive Committee of the National Association of Bond Lawyers. Jodie previously served as Chair of NABL’s Securities Law and Disclosure Committee, with responsibility for coordinating NABL’s regulatory comment letters and other projects on securities law topics. He also has served as editor of NABL’s Federal Securities Laws of Municipal Bonds Deskbook (published by LexisNexis Group) and as a frequent panelist on securities law topics at NABL’s Bond Attorneys’ Workshop (Steering Committee from 2014-2016), Tax and Securities Law Institute (Chair of 2014 TSLI and Vice Chair of 2013 TSLI), and Fundamentals of Municipal Bond Law Seminar.
"Jodie is very responsive. He listens, provides options and, most of all, works with us to find a workable solution. His depth of knowledge and exposure to a variety of issues has been a great benefit to us. Also, for me, the trait that I most appreciate and admire is his integrity. He provides sound legal advice and makes sure that I have a full understanding of the situation and the impact of our decisions."
"Jodie produces excellent work in short timeframes and deals with complex issues well."
- Acted as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, company counsel, bank counsel, and underwriter’s counsel on numerous financings in many public finance sectors, including financings for the following:
- State of Alabama and its bond issuing authorities, including general obligation financings, tobacco securitization financings, economic incentives financings, transportation financings (including GARVEEs), and pool bond financings;
- Cities and counties, including general obligation financings and economic incentives financings;
- School boards;
- Governmental utility systems;
- Governmental and nonprofit health care systems;
- Special assessment districts and improvement districts;
- Private activity bond issuers and conduit borrowers, including Recovery Zone Facility Bond issues, Gulf Opportunity Zone Act issues, manufacturing issues, airport/seaport issues, and solid waste issues;
- 501(c)(3) organizations, including private schools, cultural facilities, and social welfare facilities;
- Public private partnerships (P3s); and
- Institutions of higher education, including private and public colleges and universities and medical schools.
- Acted as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, and company counsel on numerous tender offers relating to municipal securities.
- Acted as bond counsel, disclosure counsel, and company counsel in consent solicitations relating to amendments of terms of outstanding debt securities.
- Acted as bond counsel, company counsel, and bank counsel on numerous interest rate swaps.
- Acted as sponsor counsel and bank counsel in connection with the origination, restructuring, and unwinding of several hundred million dollars in New Markets Tax Credits financings in many sectors, including the following:
- Alternative energy production facilities;
- College/university buildings;
- Community facilities;
- Hospitals, health clinics, and medical office buildings;
- Manufacturing facilities;
- Office buildings;
- Primary/secondary education buildings; and
- Shopping centers and mixed-use developments.
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Banking & Finance: Public Finance (2010-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Public Finance Law and Tax Law (2011- present)
- Best Lawyers® 2021 “Lawyer of the Year” for Public Finance Law
- American College of Bond Counsel
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Government Finance (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Bonds/Government Finance (2011-2015)
Jodie's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Board of Directors; Executive Committee, President-Elect (2021-2022)
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Autism Society of Alabama, General Counsel
- Birmingham-Southern College Norton Board of Advisors, Chair
- The Rotary Club of Shades Valley, Past Board Member/Past President
Jodie's Speaking Engagements
- March 7-8, 2019: Chair of panel presentation “The Life of Disclosure Counsel,” National Association of Bond Lawyers Tax and Securities Law Institute (Bonita Springs, FL)
- January 17, 2019: panel presentation “Overview of OZ Program: What We Know and Still Don’t Know,” North Carolina Opportunity Zones Convening of Local Stakeholders (Rocky Mount, NC)
- December 14, 2017: "P3 as Panacea: Will Public Private Partnerships Solve America's Infrastructure Deficit?" ASCPA Governmental Accounting and Auditing Forum (Birmingham, AL)
- November 28, 2017: Moderator of Part 2 of the Tax Reform teleconference, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- March 9-10, 2017: Chair of panel presentation “The GFOA Disclosure Guidelines: A Retrospective and Reappraisal,” National Association of Bond Lawyers Tax and Securities Law Institute (Washington, D.C.)
- December 1, 2016: “Of Lemons and Lemonade: How to Enhance Tax Law Compliance Through Implementation of a Bond Compliance Program,” 29th Annual ASCPA Governmental Accounting and Auditing Forum (Birmingham, Alabama)
- October 19-21, 2016: Chair of three panel presentations during the National Association of Bond Lawyers' 41st Annual Bond Attorneys' Workshop: "Hot Topics in Municipal Securities Law" featuring panel discussions on "Update from the SEC Office of Municipal Securities,""Municipalities Continuing Disclosure Cooperation Initiative," and "Hot Topics Hypotheticals" (Chicago, Illinois)
- March 10-11, 2016: “Municipal Securities Law Regulatory Update,” National Association of Bond Lawyers’ Tax and Securities Law Institute (Washington, D.C.)
- December 3, 2015: “Of Apples and Oranges: How to Reduce Securities Law Liability Through Implementation of a Disclosure Compliance Program,” ASCPA Governmental Accounting and Auditing Forum (Birmingham, Alabama)
- September 15-17, 2015: “Tales from the Buy Side: Investors’ Perspectives on Disclosure and Other Issues,” National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities’ Fall Conference (Seattle, Washington)
- September 9-11, 2015: “Hot Topics in Municipal Securities Law,” panel presentation during the National Association of Bond Lawyers’ Bond Attorneys’ Workshop (Chicago, Illinois)
- August 21, 2015: “Of Apples and Oranges: How to Reduce Securities Law Liability Through Implementation of a Disclosure Compliance Program,” Government Finance Officers Association of Alabama’s Summer Conference (Orange Beach, Alabama)
- July 10, 2015: “Of Apples and Oranges: How to Reduce Securities Law Liability Through Implementation of a Disclosure Compliance Program,” Southern Association of College and University Business Officers’ Summer Conference (Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
- March 5-6, 2015: “Tales from the Buy Side: Investors’ Perspectives on Disclosure and Other Issues,” National Association of Bond Lawyers’ Tax and Securities Law Institute (New Orleans, Louisiana)
- September 17-19, 2014: “Hot Topics in Municipal Securities Law,” National Association of Bond Lawyers’ Bond Attorneys’ Workshop (Chicago, Illinois)
- November 21, 2013: “Do You Have Your Compliance Policies Ready When the IRS and SEC Come Knocking?” Alabama Chapter of Healthcare Financial Management Association’s Fall Conference (Birmingham, Alabama)
- April 16, 2013: “Protect & Defend: SEC Rulemaking and Other Municipal Securities Developments,” National Association of Health and Educational Facilities Finance Authorities’ Summer Conference (Pensacola, Florida)
- April 12, 2013: “Do You Have Your Compliance Policies Ready When the IRS and SEC Show Up On Your Doorstep?” Montgomery, Alabama Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (Montgomery, Alabama)
State Bar: Alabama, Georgia
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) is pleased to announce that thirteen areas of practice and 47 lawyers received high rankings in the 2021 editions of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers High Net Worth: the World's Leading Private Wealth Advisors.* Maynard is ranked as a leading firm...Read More