Julie is a Shareholder and Co-Chair of the Securities Litigation practice at Maynard Cooper.
She practices primarily in the defense of brokerage firms and financial institutions against claims asserted by customers in state and federal court and in arbitration proceedings throughout the country. Julie also defends financial institutions in connection with employment disputes filed in court and with FINRA Dispute Resolution. Julie is admitted to practice in Alabama, Florida and New York. Julie has handled more than 50 cases to verdict or award.
Before joining Maynard Cooper Julie worked in New York, NY, first as an associate at Brown & Wood, LLP, and then as in-house legal counsel for J & W Seligman & Co., Incorporated.
The Best Lawyers in America© lists Julie in the areas of Litigation: Securities and Commercial Litigation and tapped her as the 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” for the region in the area of Litigation – Securities.
She received her J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law and holds a B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Alabama.
- Significant experience in “selling away” cases.
- Successful in having class action complaint involving mutual fund sales practices removed and dismissed under SLUSA.
- $0 Award on behalf of securities firm in FINRA arbitration claiming research fraud wherein the Claimant sought damages in excess of $6 million.
- Obtained full dismissal of multi-million dollar arbitration claim against brokerage firm prior to hearing.
- Successful defense of numerous sales practice cases in multiple jurisdictions.
- Significant experience in defending clearing firms.
- Successful defense of multiple product claims against brokerage firms relating to auction market securities, preferred stocks, REITs, TICs, DSTs, hedge funds and mutual funds.
- Representation of brokerage firms and individual registered representatives in connection with regulatory investigations.
- Representation of brokerage firms involving claims by former employees.
- Successful in defending several motions to vacate arbitration awards before state and federal courts.
- Successful in obtaining multiple expungements of FINRA CRD records for registered representatives.
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” in Securities Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation: Securities (2015-present); Commercial Litigation (2018-present)
Julie's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Florida State Bar Association
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, Compliance & Legal Division
- Birmingham Bar Association
University of Virginia School of Law (1997, J.D.)
University of Alabama (1994, B.A., summa cum laude; Distinguished Undergraduate Scholar of the College of Arts and Sciences; Phi Beta Kappa; Omicron Delta Kappa; XXXI)