Kathy is a Shareholder in the firm’s Public Finance and Health Care Practice Groups.
She centers her practice on counseling both for-profit and non-profit borrowers, lenders, governmental entities, underwriters, placement agents, and trustees in both taxable and tax-exempt financings. Kathy’s clients represent a broad range of business sectors, including government, health care, industry and education, including charter schools. In her over 35 years of practice, Kathy has gained extensive experience in a wide variety of financing transactions and related matters, including acquisition transactions involving health care entities, the issuance of commercial paper, derivative transactions such as interest rate swaps, various investment agreements, the formation of governmental authorities, and financing transaction defaults and remedies.
Kathy also remains active in her community through her work with the Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyer Program’s various activities and initiatives. Some of those include a domestic relations help desk, a district court help desk, as well as legal clinics for veterans and for the homeless.
- $50,000,000 Series 2016-A Note issued by The Health Care Authority of the City of Huntsville – Bond counsel to the Authority in connection with direct loan transaction
- $32,000,000 Series 2015-A Note issued by The Callahan Eye Hospital Health Care Authority – Bond counsel and counsel to the Authority in connection with direct loan transaction to refund existing bonds and finance improvements
- $227,040,000 1 Lien Revenue Bonds, Series 2015A, $24,500,000 1 Lien Taxable Revenue Bonds, Series 2015B and $33,500,000 2 Senior Lien Revenue Bonds, Series 2015C issued by Mid-Bay Bridge Authority – Representation of trustee in connection with public offering of bonds
- $4,600,000 Taxable Education Revenue Bonds, Series 2014 (Qualified School Construction Bonds –Direct Pay) issued by Texas Public Finance Authority Charter School Finance Corporation –Representation of the lender in connection with direct loan transaction to charter school
- $118,000,000 Series 2013-A Taxable Bonds issued by The Health Care Authority for Baptist Health, An Affiliate of UAB Health System – Bond counsel to the Authority in connection with the public offering of bonds and the amending and restating master trust indenture
- $20,080,000 Series 2013-A Bonds and $15,000,000 Promissory Note (2013 Capital Expenditure Line of Credit issued by The Health Care Authority for Medical West, An Affiliate of UAB Health System – bond counsel and counsel to the Authority in connection with private placement of bonds and direct loan transaction
- Representation of The Health Care Authority for Baptist Health, An Affiliate of UAB Health System, in connection with the acquisition in May 2012 of the assets of Montgomery Cancer Center
- $28,380,000 Health Care Facilities Bonds, Series 2012-A, and $30,000,000 Health Care Facilities Bonds, Series 2012-B, issued by The East Alabama Health Care Authority – bond counsel and counsel to the Authority in connection with the public offering of tax-exempt bonds
- $70,000,000 Mississippi Hospital Equipment and Facilities Authority Build America Revenue Bonds, Series 2010 (Forrest County General Hospital Project – Direct Payment – Federally Taxable) – representation of the underwriter in connection with public offering of bonds
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Public Finance Law (2016-present)
- AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Kathy’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Chair of the Securities Law Editorial Board (2016-2017)
- Co-Editor of Federal Securities Laws of Municipal Bonds Deskbook (7th Edition)