Katie is a member of the Education and Securities Litigation practice groups at Maynard Cooper. She also works with clients in the General Litigation and Appellate & Post-Verdict practices.
Katie has broad experience defending brokerage firms and financial institutions against claims asserted by customers in state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Katie has expanded her litigation practice to also include the representation of educational institutions against student complaints at both the state and federal level, as well as in arbitration before the American Arbitration Association (AAA). She is also accomplished at the appellate level, having successfully represented both educational and financial institutions in state level and federal appeals.
Super Lawyers has recognized Katie as a “Rising Star” in Civil Litigation: Defense since 2015.
Katie received her J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Mississippi. She holds a Master’s of Tax magna cum laude and a Bachelor’s of Accountancy magna cum laude from the University of Mississippi as well.
- Successfully defended appeals to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals and Alabama Supreme Court on behalf of educational institution whereby the college’s arbitration agreement was enforced and students’ claims were compelled to arbitration.
- Ex parte Morgan Asset Management, Inc., 86 So. 3d 309 (Ala. 2011) (granting defendants’ petition for mandamus and ordering trial court to dismiss claims against fund manager and related companies on the basis that the allegations constituted derivative claims and that the plaintiff trust beneficiaries lacked standing to bring a derivative claim).
- Defended Morgan Keegan in an arbitration held in New Orleans, Louisiana relating to the RMK Bond Funds that resulted in a $0 award.
- Defended Morgan Keegan in a simplified arbitration relating to the RMK Bond Funds that resulted in a complete denial of the claimant’s claims.
- Ex parte Regions Financial Corp., 67 So. 3d 45 (Ala. 2010) (granting defendants’ petition for mandamus and ordering trial court to dismiss multi-million dollar claims against fund manager and its parent company on the basis that the allegations constituted derivative claims and that the plaintiff shareholders lacked standing to bring a derivative claim).
- Defended large broker-dealer in a Richmond, Virginia arbitration involving allegations relating to equity investments, mutual funds, and share classes that resulted in a $0 award.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Civil Litigation (2016-Present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Civil Litigation: Defense (2015)
Katie’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Mrs. Bushby is an active member of the Junior League of Birmingham. Through the League she has volunteered with the UAB Women and Infants Center in the Continuing Care Nursery, as well as on the 5k for Kids committee where she was the School Chair for West End Academy.