Katy is a Shareholder and member of the Securities Litigation practice at Maynard Cooper.
She has a wide array of experience representing clients in the financial services arena. Katy has handled hundreds of cases with positive results. She has tried more than 30 cases through final decision. The majority of her work is in defense of brokerage firms against claims asserted by customers in arbitration proceedings before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). She also regularly represents financial institutions in state and federal courts across the country.
Katy also has experience representing brokerage firms in employment matters before FINRA, as well as in state and federal court. She has helped individuals and institutions facing regulatory investigations from State regulators as well as SROs such as FINRA.
Additionally, Katy’s more general litigation experience includes aiding clients in both court and AAA arbitration.
Super Lawyers has recognized Katy as a “Rising Star” in Securities Litigation and she has been named to the Birmingham Business Journal’s Top 40 Under 40 list for 2017.
She received her J.D. from Washington and Lee University, magna cum laude, and holds a B.A. from Centre College.
- Stein v. Regions Morgan Keegan Select High Income Fund, Inc., 821 F. 3d 780 (6th Cir 2016). Obtained dismissal of securities claims as barred by statutes of repose and not subject to American Pipe tolling.
- Mendel v. Morgan Keegan, 2016 US. App. Lexis 11460 (March 23, 2016 11th Cir.). Defeated effort to vacate arbitration award based on alleged arbitrator bias.
- Ameriprise Financial Services v. Jones, 195 So.3d 263 (Ala. 2015). Compelled all claims of beneficiaries of a decedent’s will that were non-signatories to the decedent’s arbitration agreement including tort of outrage claims.
- Defended large broker-dealer in Boca Raton, FL arbitration involving claims in excess of $1 million regarding preferred securities that resulted in a $0 award to Claimants.
- Defended broker-dealer in Syracuse, NY arbitration brought by widow alleging deceased husband was sold unsuitable investments that resulted in a complete denial of Claimant’s claims.
- Successfully defended a number of cases on behalf of a broker dealer facing mass product claims.
- Defended Morgan Keegan in an arbitration held in Nashville, Tennessee relating to the RMK Bond Funds that resulted in a complete denial of the Claimant’s claims and an award of expungement to the financial advisor involved.
- Defended large broker-dealer in a Richmond, Virginia arbitration involving allegations relating to equity investments, mutual funds and share classes that resulted in a $0 award to the Claimants.
- Successfully defended broker-dealer in employment matter involving claims of defamation and wrongful termination and obtained recovery on a promissory note.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Securities Litigation (2016-Present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Securities Litigation (2011-2014)
- Birmingham Business Journal Top 40 Under 40 (2017)
- 2017 Women Who Shape the State, al.com/Birmingham Magazine
Katy's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- SIFMA – Legal and Compliance
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Junior League of Birmingham, Member and former Executive Board Member: President (2017-2018), President-Elect, Recording Secretary, Membership Vice President
- Friends of the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, Past Member Board of Directors, Junior Board Past President and Member
- Symphony 30
- Pro Bono service through BVLP
- Regular volunteer with Birmingham Reads