Latanae is a litigation attorney in Maynard’s Insurance Practice Group in Miami, Florida. She focuses her practice on representing life health and disability insurers in claim-related litigation. Her experience includes complex and general civil litigation matters in state and federal courts, as well as civil litigation in the areas of property damage and personal injury claims in the representation of insurance carriers and self-insured businesses. She also has extensive experience representing clients in general business litigation and insurance coverage matters.
Before starting her practice, Latanae served as law clerk to the Honorable Anne C. Conway and the Honorable Gregory A. Presnell of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. She earned her J.D. from Georgetown University and holds a B.A., cum laude, in Communications from the University of Miami.
- Surgery Center of Viera, LLC v. UnitedHealthcare, Inc. et al, Case No. 6:19-cv-01628 (M.D. Fla. May 14, 2020) – In an ERISA action for statutory penalties brought by the healthcare provider, obtained dismissal of the complaint for lack of standing pursuant to the subject plan’s anti-assignment provision.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, in which the Court found that a plaintiff cannot use a 29 U.S.C. § 1132 (a)(3) claim for breach of fiduciary duty to complain of plan design.
- Represented national retailers, product manufacturers, food service clients, homeowners associations, and insurance companies in complex and other general civil litigation matters.
- Obtained a motion to dismiss on grounds of abstention pursuant to Brillhart v. Excess Insurance Company of America, 314 U.S. 606 (1942).
- Successfully resolved a dispute involving claims of breach of contract and contractual indemnity. After filling a motion for summary judgment against the plaintiff, and before that motion was decided, the matter settled for less than 10% of the plaintiff’s original demand.
Latanae's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Little Disciples Preschool - Board Member
- Posse Foundation - Writing Coach (2019)
- The Florida Bar Association
- Miami-Dade Florida Association for Women Lawyers - Mentor (2019)
Latanae's Speaking Engagements
"Fiduciary Status of Plan Service Providers: Overview and Trends," co-presenter at client CLE event prior to joining Maynard, Cooper & Gale (9/25/2019)
State Bar: Florida
U.S. District Court: Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern)
Honorable Anne C. Conway, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Honorable Gregory A. Presnell, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida