Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) is pleased to announce that twelve areas of practice and 43 lawyers received high rankings in the recently released 2021 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking &...Read More
Lauren assists hospitals, physician groups, durable medical equipment suppliers, pharmacies, and other types of health care providers and suppliers nationally with a wide range of health care regulatory matters that both shape the daily operations of the provider and impact the structure and permissible arrangements between different providers. Her regulatory experience includes working with the Stark Law, the Anti-kickback Statute, Civil Monetary Penalty Law, and state-specific fraud and abuse laws. With respect to other daily operational issues that providers and suppliers often face, Lauren has experience with Medicare reimbursement questions, compliance plan policy and procedure development, physician employment and recruitment arrangements, and general contract review matters.
With respect to health care transactions, Lauren works with clients on the applicable state and federal notifications and approvals that must be obtained when there is a change in ownership, a merger or acquisition, or a new provider entity, including notifications and approvals relating to certificate of need, licensure, accreditations, certifications, and Medicare and Medicaid provider number transfer.
Acknowledging the changing landscape of health care delivery, Lauren counsels clients on the implementation of voluntary and involuntary Medicare Innovation programs, including the Medicare Bundled Payment Program, BPCI Advanced, CJR, and Affordable Care Organizations. Lauren and members of the health care team also counsel clients on how to structure integration, co-management, affiliation, and joint venture arrangements that implicate a variety of fraud and abuse laws.
Lauren also counsels entities on compliance with the HIPAA privacy, security, and breach notification regulations (including risk assessments, development of privacy and security policies, and breach investigations). She has worked with clients under investigation by the Office of Civil Rights and has successfully resolved OCR complaints without further fines or penalties to the company. Lauren works with both covered entities and business associates and provides HIPAA education seminars and policy reviews to clients with obligations to comply with HIPAA.
In her employee benefits and executive compensation practice, Lauren counsels clients on benefits and executive compensation issues, such as governmental benefit plan issues, issues under Internal Revenue Code Section 409A, and welfare plan structure and implementation.
Lauren also assists insurance companies and holding company systems nationwide with regulatory issues, change in control filings, and other required Department of Insurance notifications.
Lauren's skills and industry expertise have earned her recognition by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Health Care. She is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers in the area of Health Care Law. In addition to her law practice, Lauren is a member of Maynard Cooper's Recruiting Committee and Women's Initiative Committee.
“Lauren has a strong command of healthcare law, and she is willing to fully embrace the details of the client’s problems.”
“I can’t speak highly enough of Lauren. She plans and she is very conscious of the whole picture, not just the question we ask her.”
“She is extremely competent, has a quick mind, and able to see the core issues and move onto the pertinent facts. She is very approachable and seeks to create solutions, not problems.”
“Provides guidance on regulatory compliance and contract negotiation to clients in the healthcare space. Her clients include public health authorities and private clinics.” -Chambers review
- Birmingham Business Journal‘s “NextGenBHM” (2020)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Birmingham Business Journal‘s “Rising Stars in Law” (2019)
- Chambers USA: Leading Individual in the area of Health Care (2017 – present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law (2017-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Health Care (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Health Care (2011-2015)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Top 40 Under 40" (2015)
- Birmingham Magazine's "Top Attorneys" for Health Care (2017)
Lauren's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Payers, Plans and Managed Care
- Hospitals and Health Systems
- Post-Acute and Long – Term Services
- UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center Advisory Board Member (2018-present)
- UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center Young Supporters Board - President (2014-15); Vice President (2013-14); Patient and Family Services Committee Chair (2012-13)
- Alabama Ballet, Board of Trustees (2016-present); Pointe Ball Chair (2019)
- Symphony30 (Co-Chair)
- Robert E. Reed Foundation Junior Board (2011-14)
- McWane Beaker Bash Committee (2015-2017)
- Birmingham MS Leadership Class (2017)
- Momentum Women's Executive Leadership Program, Class 16
Lauren's Speaking Engagements
- October 27-29, 2016, presenter at the Signature Medical Group's BPCI Annual Conference, Dallas, TX
- June 9-11, 2016, American College of Surgeons Annual Conference - Alabama and Mississippi Chapters, co-presented with John Lanier "Healthcare Legal Update: Alternative Payment Methodologies, Recent Regulatory Changes, and Audit Plans"
- February 19, 2016, Client presentation, “HIPAA Training and Employee Compliance Education”
- February 15, 2016, Client presentation, “Annual Regulatory Update and Health Care Compliance Issues”
- September 28, 2015, Warren Averett Healthcare Symposium, “Top Legal Issues for 2015”
- July 30, 2015, UAB National Symposium of Healthcare Executives, “Top 15 for 2015: Practical Legal Updates for Today’s Healthcare Environment”
- June 5, 2015, American College of Surgeons, Alabama and Mississippi Chapter Annual Meeting, “Update on RCOs in Alabama and Fraud and Abuse Considerations with RCOs”
- April 24, 2015, American College of Healthcare Executives, “Fraud and Abuse Updates for 2015”
State Bar: Alabama